View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sx9Offline
Post subject: Installing aptosid on a Jay-tech Jay-Book 9901  PostPosted: 26.02.2011, 23:54

Hi,

I have tried for some months to install aptosid on the netbook I have mentioned in the title. The problem is, that I can't access a BIOS or something similar to boot aptosid from an USB-Stick. It only shows a boot message and then Win CE 6 appears so it's more a mobile device than a Netbook.
Can I change the content of the internal memory somehow, so that I can use the Netbook as an external memory for another computer where I can install aptosid on?
Thanks for your help in advance!
Here is the webpage of this product: http://www.jay-tech.de/jaytech/servlet/frontend/

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Installing aptosid on a Jay-tech Jay-Book 9901  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 00:08

- CPU VIA VT8500, 300 MHz <-- ARM9 achitecture
- 128MB DDR2 RAM
- 2GB NAND-Flash-Speicher

not supported.

sx9Offline
Post subject: RE: Installing aptosid on a Jay-tech Jay-Book 9901  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 00:13

Ok, thanks.

Nice quick Response Smile

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
aptosid x86_64

sx9Offline
Post subject: RE: Installing aptosid on a Jay-tech Jay-Book 9901  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 00:14

But can I install other Debian or Linux systems on it?

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
aptosid x86_64

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Installing aptosid on a Jay-tech Jay-Book 9901  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 06:06

i have tried the same on similar devices with Win CE on them and no way to access the bios. i even took it to the booth of bios-wizards on a linux convention. after happpily taking it apart, they said its not worth it.

greetz
devil

clubexOffline
Post subject: RE: Installing aptosid on a Jay-tech Jay-Book 9901  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 12:01

In my experience you wouldn't be able to install aptosid on these type of machines. I believe there are versions of Debian that will run on ARM (and MIPs?) architectures. But aptosid is x86 only.

I had a couple of the machines given to me so I read up about the recent crop of cheap 7" Chinese imports and viewed websites like:

http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/

Eventually I managed to install the 3MX linux OS (2.6.24 kernel) on a couple of £69 netbooks. There is no BIOS in the normal sense of the word. Just some re-writable firmware which bootloads whatever OS is on the SDC card.

In use It was OK. Somewhat slow and and with limited available software in comparison to what we've come to expect from a laptop or desktop machine. Not at all as functional as aptosid but quite usable.

Unfortunately each machine developed a total screen failure (which apparently is quite common on eeePC machines) and thus became bricked and ended up in the bin.

Jump to: