View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
2spoonsOffline
Post subject: blender 2.56  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 11:44

After a d-u I tried the new Blender. It fails with "Illegal Instruction". A bit of investigation shows this to be due to it being compiled with SSE2 instruction flags (I think), and thus not compatible with my old AMD cpu. I downloaded the static blender from blender.org and it runs fine, although it still requires mode setting to be turned off.

Ah! ModeSetting and VGA Arbitration. On my old install of Debian5 glxgears ran at 600 fps, now, with modeset on I get 75 fps, with modeset off, I get 44 fps. Looks like I'll have to go back to the old days of rolling my own kernels (or get modern).

AMD Duron 1200, Radeon 9200 PCI card, disabled integrated SiS graphics.

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: blender 2.56  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 14:03

is firmware-linux-nonfree installed?

greetz
devil

2spoonsOffline
Post subject: RE: blender 2.56  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 17:33

Yes it is, and updated this very day. The VGA arbitration option in the kernel config is a dependency, of what I haven't yet discovered. So turning it off and going back to old Xorg.config to force use of the PCI card is going to take some investigation. I'll probably end up using this an excuse to modernise.

Jump to: