View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
slhOffline
Post subject: solved: eglibc upgrade breaks initramfs generation.  PostPosted: 28.02.2011, 02:52

A change in eglibc 2.11.2-12 (#615806) breaks initramfs (re-)generation, thereby leading towards a faulty initrams an breaking system boot with the newest installed kernel.

In order to fix this issue, pick an older kernel (whose initramfs hasn't been built in the presence of this faulty eglibc version) to boot the system and reinstall working eglibc packages from testing:
      Code:
# apt-get install libc-bin/testing libc-dev-bin/testing libc6/testing libc6-dev/testing locales/testing
# update-initramfs -u

and refrain from further dist-upgrades, before this gets fixed - don't put eglibc packages on manual hold!

Last edited by slh on 01.03.2011, 00:47; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: eglibc upgrade breaks initramfs generation.  PostPosted: 28.02.2011, 13:59

I think I hit this, but an older kernels did't work either (I had just installed 27.2 and went back to 27.1).

When it boots, it says "No init found". I booted from a boot CD and verified that the initrd exists, etc.
sid truly has become unstable Razz

Update: went back to a .26.2 kernel and I'm back up. I'm just going to avoid doing dist-upgrades for a while. First my usb ethernet adapter gets killed by an upgrade and now this Sad

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: eglibc upgrade breaks initramfs generation.  PostPosted: 28.02.2011, 15:01

Looks like there's now a fixed package in incoming

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: eglibc upgrade breaks initramfs generation.  PostPosted: 01.03.2011, 00:51

This issue should basically be resolved by now, fixed amd64 have entered the archive this evening - broken i386 never reached the mirrors. Just make sure that outdated mirrors don't deliver the broken packages anymore.

libc-bin 2.11.2-11, OK
libc-bin 2.11.2-12, BROKEN
libc-bin 2.11.2-13, OK

Jump to: