View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GdV87Offline
Post subject: Liquorix Kernel  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 20:25

Hello everybody;
I would like to know what are the main differences between slh (aptosid) kernel and liquorix kernel.
On the internet I've found only this site:

http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1542.html

but it is quite outdated.
Does somebody know something more?

GdV87

Reply with quote Back to top
michaaa62Offline
Post subject: RE: Liquorix Kernel  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 20:58

Well, you obviously found the forum at techpatterns, why don't you do a search there??? It is the right place!

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Liquorix Kernel  PostPosted: 27.02.2011, 20:59
Team Member

[I am moving the thread to the Dragons forum as its the better fit as its not really "off"- but clearly a "When it breaks you can keep the pieces"-topic]

The topic itself can be discussed in a "hot" style as the creator of these kernels and some of the team members are not the best friends (to say the least).

In the end the differences are
a) another provider
b) different configuration

a) means that we here will not support it (as we don't provide it and don't even know it) and b) is your taste. I am at least unable to judge which options are better or worse so i am leaving it to my trusted a) to choose the best for me. That the crowd is most of the time wrong if kernel stuff is discussed can be best seen in the recent "200 line magic patch" which had basically no positive effect for anyone - expect the hardcore users if they were not hit by a slowdown (as i was). So i would recommend to relax. There is no magic: Your single-core pc will not be upgraded with the next kernel to a quad-core… Wink

The important part of the kernel for most users (should) be the supported hardware. slh is very quick in adding support for new stuff as you can see in the release notes. The homepage of the liquorix kernel doesn't tell anything about that - or at least i haven't found it.

But yeah, as said, i don't know a lot of kernel-stuff, i am just trusting our super linuxkernel hacker… Cool

GdV87Offline
Post subject: RE: Liquorix Kernel  PostPosted: 28.02.2011, 11:31

Thank you DonKult for your replay.
I would like to use the slh kernel (as it is the one supported by aptosid) but, since I'm having some troubles with "sensors" (about which I've already posted in other sections of this forum), I'm looking for other kernels to use until those problems will be solved: any suggestions?

GdV87

redsidOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.02.2011, 15:19

The liquorix forum is as current as this one. Ask your question there. Now to extricate myself gracefully lest I be 'slam'd', I do not use liquorix kernels and I believe once you stray outside of aptosid's software, you are on your own.

broweOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.02.2011, 16:51

Use what works for you. Test them all and report back if you find something that works better. I've tested the liquorix and frickel kernels and haven't noticed any difference from the slh kernel on my hardware. Perhaps another kernel or the next slh kernel will solve your sensors issue. And as far as support goes, changing kernels is simply another line option in grub, keep the slh kernel in the list and you have support for that option.

Jump to: