View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BarlafussOffline
Post subject: any siduxcc substitute in aptosid ?  PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 18:20

I also updated my box to aptosid.

Still some issue with grub2-I can boot older (sidux) kernel, not the new 2.6.35 -, for which it could be I'll open a post, after studying grub2.

But I was used to siduxcc: I suppose it has been dismissed. I was not able to do a kernel upgrade with it.
Is it still valid, can be used with aptosid or not?

Thanks to the developers for their daily great job.
Barlafuss

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: any siduxcc substitute in aptosid ?  PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 18:54

There are two likely possibilities, either you didn't complete the upgrade to grub2 yet (by issuing upgrade-from-grub-legacy manually, as explained by the debconf notice) or you edited /boot/grub/grub.cfg by hand, which mustn't be done as update-grub won't touch changed configs anymore.

siduxcc has never been ported to KDE4 and was dropped from the repo already ~a year ago.

BarlafussOffline
Post subject: RE: any siduxcc substitute in aptosid ?  PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 19:44

@slh
thanks for clarifying on grub2.
Probably i misunderstood the grub2 message: I understood to do "upgrade-from-grub-legacy manually" ONLY after having positive boot with kernel 2.6.35 (the default option) chainloading ... Since I was not able to pass it (choosing default option system hang after informing "welcome to grub2" - sorry I hope to remember well- I didn't perform the grub upgrade.

Sorry, I missed the siduxcc "obsolescence", since I believed it a textual-tool, not related to graphic.

Again thank You.

Barlafuss

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: any siduxcc substitute in aptosid ?  PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 19:48

siduxcc was primarily kde3 based and hooking into kcontrol. There were other frontends based on ncurses and gtk2/ ruby, which however were severely limited in functionality in comparison to the kde3 frontend; a kde4/ qt4 port has never been finished.

BarlafussOffline
Post subject: RE: any siduxcc substitute in aptosid ?  PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 16:02

@slh
I tried to complete the upgrade to grub2 (by issuing upgrade-from-grub-legacy manually), but it was completely not working, system cannot more boot.
I did restore of my sidux system and restarted the switching to aptosid.
Having the same issue, I opened a specific tread
Thanks

Jump to: