View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dragoncityOffline
Post subject: fault in aptosid installer ?  PostPosted: 10.03.2011, 00:36

I recently had a problem with non appearance of shared libraries with a install from a CD image of 2011-01 after a system HDD failure. Now recovered from that by reinstalling,however a small problem appeared in the installer.

During the question of creating a user account, I get the message that
the user already exists , which it did, as /home/user already existed, contained directories I did not want destroyed, in its own partition which was NOT re-formatted during the install. ( /home/user had taken a long time to restore from backups Smile

However there does not appear to be anyway to continue from this dialog message, even tho it implies that you can. The only way forward was to go back and create another user account. ( and later create that original user and manipulate the directory ownership)

Surely the installer should allow accepting a existing account and the /home/user directory and continue?

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: fault in aptosid installer ?  PostPosted: 10.03.2011, 00:52

"Surely the installer should allow accepting a existing account and the /home/user directory and continue?"

And surely should make the mixing of broken configurations for the old system and half garbage
configurations for the new system?

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: fault in aptosid installer ?  PostPosted: 10.03.2011, 02:11

It is highly recommended you rename the old home dir then set up the user. After install you can then copy any data you want to retrieve from the backed up homedir to the new one.

dragoncityOffline
Post subject: RE: fault in aptosid installer ?  PostPosted: 10.03.2011, 04:25

"And surely should make the mixing of broken configurations for the old system and half garbage
configurations for the new system?"

You make a good point, however as I knew the /home/user files were OK , having been restored from a backup, I expected the installeer to allow me to reuse the same user name, but create a new user account and therefore link into the restored /home/user files.

The installer message implies that I could continue, which is not true. happy to be iinformed I can't
continue but should make a new user.

======
"It is highly recommended you rename the old home dir then set up the user. After install you can then copy any data you want to retrieve from the backed up homedir to the new one."

Thats what I ended up doing, but I did not have the option of doing that as the installed version of aptosid was badly broken and I was in the re-install process at the time of the dialog message.

The message just need updating to NOT imply you can continue -- thats all Smile

Jump to: