View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CarnophageOffline
Post subject: [solved] alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 20:02

Just yesterday, I discovered that recent snapshots of alsa-driver sources contain patches needed for full support of my sound card in Lenovo Ideapad Y530 laptop. Downloaded, compiled and the sound started to work perfectly again - surround, subwoofer volume level - all that was gone where model=lenovo-sky stoped working along with kernels > 2.6.35.

Today, I installed the new slh kernel and compilation fails with the following error:

Code:
./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-sequencer=yes
(...)
make
(...)
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.38-0.slh.1-aptosid-amd64/build SUBDIRS=/root/alsa-driver  CPP="gcc -E" CC="gcc" modules
make[1]: Wejście do katalogu `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-0.slh.1-aptosid-amd64'
  CC [M]  /root/alsa-driver/acore/hwdep.o
/root/alsa-driver/acore/hwdep.c:25:28: fatal error: linux/smp_lock.h: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [/root/alsa-driver/acore/hwdep.o] Błąd 1
make[2]: *** [/root/alsa-driver/acore] Błąd 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/root/alsa-driver] Błąd 2
make[1]: Opuszczenie katalogu `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-0.slh.1-aptosid-amd64'
make: *** [compile] Błąd 2

Is this missing smp_lock.h a part of this BLK removal patch which "encouraged" me to switch to nouveau?

If yes, is that patch really needed at this moment?

Last edited by Carnophage on 18.03.2011, 07:02; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 21:08

ALSA is part of the mainline kernel and at version 1.0.23. If there are issues with it, they need to be fixed once and for all, properly in the kernel. In my personal experiences ALSA upstream monitors bugzilla.kernel.org very closely and is actively responding to problems.

The build issue you're referring to does not happen with in-kernel ALSA - actually it has been fixed in 2007 for kernel 2.6.22, so your local version must even predate that. The problem is not in the kernel, or aptosid's patches, but your ancient out-of-tree kernel module code.

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 21:23

Hmm...
I'm downloading this daily snapshot http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... ot.tar.bz2
You're telling me that it is out of date? If that error isn't connected to the kernel/aptosid patches then why the same snapshot compiles correctly on the previous aptosid kernel version?

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 22:52

Its compat layer seems to need quite some work and appears to come from the distant past, it will (have to) be fixed quite soon. But if your card stopped working with kernel 2.6.36, why isn't it fixed by 2.6.37 or 2.6.38, if you claim that current upstream development snapshot are working? If there is a bug, it needs to be fixed mainline.

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 16.03.2011, 06:38

First a link do launchpad, where (from what I understand) the patches were introduced and then uploaded to upstream alsa: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/662009

As for my sound problems, on kernels 2.6.35+ the sound works, but only stereo, with poor volume level and of course na subwoofer support.

So there should be a bug filled against the mainline kernel or the upstream alsa? I'm not really familiar with the connections between alsa and kernel, so any help with clearing this would be very appreciated.

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 16.03.2011, 18:35

I can see these patches in alsa-kernel.git:
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-ker ... 06a1216e3a
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-ker ... 8ccafe80c1
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-ker ... bbdaf31eed
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-ker ... 3fb1839fcc
Does it mean that they are on the way to mainline kernel?

Last edited by Carnophage on 16.03.2011, 18:58; edited 1 time in total

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 16.03.2011, 18:46

Patches get merged to the mainline kernel all the time, be it for daily linux-next snapshot, the 2.6.39 merge window or -stable. If a particular change stays out of mainline for more than 1 kernel cycle, there should be a reason. This also makes it appear to be unlikely that your card fails to work with mainline 2.6.36, 2.6.37 and 2.6.38 - but worked with alsa snapshots released in close temporal proximity to the kernel 2.6.36 release, but are still broken mainline in 2.6.38. About the reasons I can only speculate, be it that a patch simply got forgotten (unlikely), timing issues during module probe (race condition), different configurations/ module parameters kicking in (avoidable by local configuration, like module parameter) or some procedural issue, however it needs to get fixed - mainline.

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 16.03.2011, 18:55

But if I understand correctly these patches were delivered only 2 days ago. They were written less then 2 weeks back from now.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 16.03.2011, 19:02

Correct (I didn't look at the actual patches before), so it's likely that they entered linux-next yesterday and may still make it for 2.6.39; given that all of them are marked for -stable, chances are that they may make it for 2.6.38.1 as well. If you're sufficiently confident that those patches fix your issue, we might even pull those for one of our next kernel updates, before they hit 2.6.39 or -stable.

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 16.03.2011, 19:20

As I wrote before, alsa-driver daily snapshot with these patches worked for me. People at ubuntu's launchpad have tested them too with good results.

I would be really grateful if they could be included in one of the aptosid kernels.

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 16.03.2011, 19:31

It's only the inglorious 0019-BKL-That-s-all-folks.patch, which prevents the succsessfuly building of this source.
But it does not care anyone in the aptosid theam.
This patch is also the reason for not building nvidia-source.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 18.03.2011, 04:01

Please test linux-image-2.6.38-0.slh.3-aptosid-{686,amd64}, it might fix your audio issues.

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: alsa-driver compilation fails with kernel 2.6.38  PostPosted: 18.03.2011, 07:01

I have just installed the new kernel (amd64) and some quick tests show that the sound works perfectly.

Big thx slh.

delfreoOffline
Post subject: nvidia?  PostPosted: 18.03.2011, 13:41

I'm trying to install a nvidia driver. I am also experiencing a missing smp_lock.h file in linux directory. There is anything I can do?

I am running a 2.6.38-0.slh.3-aptosid-amd64 kernel

Many Thanks
Delfreo

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: nvidia?  PostPosted: 18.03.2011, 13:54

Remove #include linux/smp_lock.h fron nv-linux.h in the sources or use the driver from the frickelplatz-repo.
Btw, why are you posting your problem in this thread?

Jump to: