View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ugoOffline
Post subject: KDE doesn't start  PostPosted: 21.03.2011, 17:04

Hi everybody,
a student of mines tried to start the OS from a USB stick.
He told me that KDE desktop doesn't start and the boot procedure ends up with the bash shell on the whole screen and the usual prompt message: sidux@sidux$

The CPU is an Intel Pentium D Processor 820.
The final result is the same for both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions (that CPU has a 64-bit instruction set but a 32-bit physical address extension).

The video card is a GeForce 8500 GT with Integrated RAMDAC.

I confess that also this year I distributed sidux-moros-2009-4 to the students (I feel guilty about that, but not so much, because I had too many duties to update the elementary guide for the students before the beginning of the lectures).

I hope that my "lazyness" will not be a problem to find a solution to the problem.

Is there any cheatcode that can solve the problem?

Many thanks,
ciao,
Ugo

Reply with quote Back to top
towoOnline!
Post subject: RE: KDE doesn  PostPosted: 21.03.2011, 17:10

Why should anyone of us support that old version?
sidux is dead, so use the recent aptosid-release and if you have problems, you will get help.

ugoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.03.2011, 17:32

> Why should anyone of us support that old version?

Simply for kindness?!

I understand very well your point of view. Try to understand mine. In the persistent area I included all the additional software we need for the lectures, all the notes, some very-low-level guides. It's a lot of work I've done by myself.
I need some time (say 3 weeks of nearly full work-time) to update everything. I wanted to do it, but I really had not such a free time this year. I know all the devs of aptosid are engaged to the project for much more time, but I guess nobody want entry in the details about the duties of everyone of us.

I don't deserve any prize, but thanks to my effort every year more than 50 students are exposed to sidux/aptosid. I think that it can be useful to you to ask some questions.

I guessed that this kind of problem has a common answer for old and new versions.

If not, simply don't worry, in italian there is a way to say that more or less sounds like:
"Asking is allowed, answering is a courtesy!".

Ciao,
Ugo

devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.03.2011, 17:59

try booting it with xmodule=vesa. after install it should be fine.

greetz
devil

ugoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.03.2011, 18:08

I'll make him try with that additional cheatcode.
I'll post his comments in a few days (hopefully).

Ciao,
Ugo

ugoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.03.2011, 19:24

Hi Everybody,
there was a first case (I told you about it in the previous posts of this thread) and there is a second new case.

About the first case: that student told me that booting it with xmodule=vesa didn't improve the things. His PC wasn't a laptop, then it's difficult to find the solution of the problem in reasonable times.
We decided to stop, because... the student has just bought a new laptop and I reinstalled sidux-64 on his usb-stick. I saw on friday that he can work smoothly from the usb-stick.
I apologize with you, if I had known in advance about his plans to buy a new laptop, I didn't create this thread.

Another student (this is the second case) told me that she has similar problems, but she owns a laptop; thus, I hope to be able to arrange everything before or after the next lesson she'll have for my course.

Thanks

Ugo

Jump to: