View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
butter1006Offline
22 Post subject: Installation on an USB Stick  PostPosted: 26.03.2011, 15:53

Hi all,

I have a company laptop and want to use aptosid with this laptop. It is obvious that I don't want to change anything on the laptop, so my question. I read in the manual that it is possible to install aptosid with a standard installation on an usb-stick while grup will be installed on the stick itself. When doing so, does anything happen to the mbr of the laptop? Is it realy complete independent from the laptop? Really no change on the laptop?

Thanks for your help!

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation on an USB Stick  PostPosted: 26.03.2011, 17:11
Team Member

Really no change to the laptop, be assured.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation on an USB Stick  PostPosted: 26.03.2011, 17:33

The laptop will look the same.The keys will not pop out.
The screen will not crack..... Very Happy

wiarus_oldOffline
Post subject: Re: Installation on an USB Stick  PostPosted: 28.03.2011, 10:28

butter1006 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a company laptop...
When doing so, does anything happen to the mbr of the laptop? Is it realy complete independent from the laptop? Really no change on the laptop?

Thanks for your help!

You can prepare usb-stick from aptosid Live-CD on other computer (for assure), then choice boot media on the laptop (F12 usually) after plug in a stick and switch power on.

ggeorganOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Installation on an USB Stick  PostPosted: 22.04.2011, 04:38

However, one should note that with the latest aptosid at this time, that is aptosid-2011-1, one is able to do a hard-disk install on a usb stick. However, for this particular setup, update-grub does not work and reports missing open parenthesis, so one is unable to do any updates. I have been unable to find anything on this very particular issue in the forums.
It is a pity, because a hard-disk install on a usb stick is a great idea. It allows one to prepare up-to-date aptosid distros for newbies and, also, to test upgrades before committing to more permanent installations. My own greatest regret is that this worked in previous versions and does not work any more.

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Installation on an USB Stick  PostPosted: 22.04.2011, 05:41

ggeorgan,
all that you praise as merrits of a real install on a usb-device also works (with the 'persist'-option) with just the iso on the device. the only thing that does not work with that is kernel-upgrades (so, if $user wants to dist-upgrade such a device, better remove the kernel meta-packages) the advantage of such an iso overlay over a real install is, that the former will boot anywhere, where booting from usb works.

greetz
devil

ggeorganOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 22.04.2011, 07:10

Yes, the problem is most probably with kernel upgrades.
However, sometimes this is a broader problem for the not-so-sophisticated user. For example, my bluetooth mouse apparently needs the latest kernel upgrade.
I apologise for repeating, but the thing worked flawlessly before.

ggeorganOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.04.2011, 07:24

Here is a solution that worked for me.
Start with the findings reported here :
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=710
They work on 32-bit systems, too.
As soon as one has the initial installation, one should Ctrl+Alt+F1 to the command line and :
      Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install grub
selecting grub to be installed only on the USB stick or SD card.
Then :
      Code:
dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
also selecting the USB stick or SD card to have grub on it.
Now, kernel updates on the USB stick or SD card can proceed as on normal hard disk installs.
Three remaining issues :
1. One should tweak the grub configuration files to have the grub menu on the USB stick or SD card to remove entries related to other OS's that grub finds on the computer
2. Whether aptosid installation media cab and need to be modified to render this process superfluous is an open question.
3. Grub business is risky, so one should not experiment with the suggestions in this post on computers with valuable data.

Jump to: