View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
iriaOffline
Post subject: qtdesktop  PostPosted: 31.03.2011, 07:59

Hi.

I found the project like LXDE, but in Qt. >> http://code.google.com/p/qtdesktop/

Quote:
The main goal of the project is to get all usual applications, X-platform (Linuxnix/Windows) and Qt4-based.

There are a lot of useful apps, but not all are in ".deb".

Something like kde-light would be great.

Is there any one who have packaging skills?Wink

Reply with quote Back to top
detaosOffline
Post subject: RE: qtdesktop  PostPosted: 31.03.2011, 12:48
Team Member

i'm all for qt everywhere (it is the best GUI toolkit on the planet after all Wink, but projects like this confuse me. why continually reinvent the wheel and further fracture the desktop space? why not put more effort into KDE and make it more efficient? a lot of work has been going into that recently with the push to get KDE on netbooks and tablets. the KDE libs are astoundingly powerful and well tested. i simply don't want to know how many bugs there are in their window manager alone. /frustration

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: qtdesktop  PostPosted: 31.03.2011, 18:35

I like to look at projects like qtdesktop and evaluate what tools I might consider switching. On KDE I try to run only qt based apps but there are a few gnome gtk ones still lurking that I prefer. If I can find a good replacement that is qt I switch. The nice thing is that most of the apps listed in qtdesktop are available by apt-get. If you want to try out any of the apps that aren't packaged I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to compile the source and provide a deb or a how-to.

iriaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.04.2011, 07:33

@detaos

Quote:
i'm all for qt everywhere (it is the best GUI toolkit on the planet after all)

Me too. Qt rules. Wink

Quote:
but projects like this confuse me. why continually reinvent the wheel and further fracture the desktop space? why not put more effort into KDE and make it more efficient? a lot of work has been going into that recently with the push to get KDE on netbooks and tablets

Me not. KDE chosen route social media. Don't get me wrong, I prefer KDE apps (except Amarok2 with mysql(sic!)), but I don't want run on my notebook servers and databases, therefore Akonadi, Nepomuk, Zeitgeist are unacceptable. And with plans further their integration with KDE, I'm starting to look on clean Qt desktop more friendly. Not everybody using PIM, FB and others.
Qtdesktop is more freedom.

Quote:
the KDE libs are... and well tested

I know that today is prima aprilis but c'mon Wink

PS Type in Google: "disable/remove akonadi/nepomuk" and see for yourself how many people don't whan't these "inventions".

Jump to: