View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
seagullOffline
Post subject: [solved] Manual kvm Chapter  PostPosted: 02.10.2010, 14:47

Code:
apt-get install qemu-kvm

qemu-utils is also needed! So
      Code:
apt-get install qemu-kvm qemu-utils

should be written in the manual.

Last edited by seagull on 03.10.2010, 10:39; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: Manual kvm Chapter  PostPosted: 02.10.2010, 14:57

Thank you. It's noted by the manual crew.

hubi

bluewaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.10.2010, 03:32
Team Member

seagull,

done and online.

Thank you,
Trevor

DionOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 18:20

Another addition:

The manual states:

Quote:
Prerequisites

To ascertain whether your hardware supports KVM, ensure that KVM is enabled in the BIOS (in some cases on an Intel VT or AMD-V system it may not evident as to where the switch is, therefore assume that it is in a KVM state). The way to check is in a console run:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | egrep --color=always 'vmx|svm'

If you see svm or vmx in the cpu flags field, your system supports KVM. (Otherwise go back to the BIOS if you believe it is supported and check again, else search the internet as to where in the BIOS menus KVM 'enable' could be hiding).

I typed the command in console as stated above and got the vmx flags, but this only seems to mean the processor itself supports virtualisation on kernel base. But it doesn't tell you if the virtualisation is in fact enabled in the BIOS. I still had to enable it. This point is not very clear in the above description.

Something else: I don't really see the point in wanting to run an aptosid.iso in a VM in aptosid. A short how-to on installing windows in a VM would be much appreciated.

ghstryderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 18:36

Quote:
I typed the command in console as stated above and got the vmx flags, but this only seems to mean the processor itself supports virtualisation on kernel base. But it doesn't tell you if the virtualisation is in fact enabled in the BIOS. I still had to enable it. This point is not very clear in the above description.

Quote:
ensure that KVM is enabled in the BIOS...

That seems fairly clear to me.

DionOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 20:21

The text in the manual suggests that you can check whether virtualisation is enabled in the BIOS by typing in that command, which is apparently not true. It's at least a bit ambivalent. Just trying to improve things Smile

bluewaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.04.2011, 08:01
Team Member

Dion

Thanks for the comments.

Some bios manufactures have KVM switched on by defualt and others do not,

Quote:

To ascertain whether your hardware supports KVM, ensure that KVM is enabled in the BIOS (in some cases on an Intel VT or AMD-V system it may not evident as to where the switch is, therefore assume that it is in a KVM state)

.............. (Otherwise go back to the BIOS if you believe it is supported and check again, else search the internet as to where in the BIOS menus KVM 'enable' could be hiding)

Unfortunately, like you, some users need to go on a 'search and implement mission' to get things switched on, most do not seem to have an issue as it is on by default, so I am glad that you got it sorted out without too much fuss.

Regarding putting windows in a VM , just mentally change aptosid for windows and the same for applies for any other distro you may want to have in a VM.

(heh I know someone who recently installed MS Windows to KVM, the comment was,, 'I hope i never have to do that again .... ' )

Regsrds
Trevor

Last edited by bluewater on 06.04.2011, 12:24; edited 2 times in total

DionOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.04.2011, 11:21

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your reply!

Regarding installing Windows: I am on a intel i5 64 bits and have a windows 7 CD that came with the PC to install from.

As you pointed out, I could indeed just replace the aptosid parts with the windows CD, but on the KVM website http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Windows7Install I read things about signed drivers you need for 64 bits Win7 and virtio drives that I honestly don't understand much about. So it looks a bit less simple than that. I am still studying it and if I come up with any solutions I might try to write a how-to. But any advice is appreciated already.

Thanks,
Dion

bluewaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.04.2011, 11:50
Team Member

Dion,
I will ask him to post what he needed to do (although he uses gentoo the concept will hold true)

BAH ,,, After doing sou chef stuff, Dion,, just do it to it, it is a VM, (just dont validate it until you have to, as you have a few days to do that, like about 30 or more ), However be prepared for a 4 to 6 hour process.

Jump to: