View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
braveheartleoOffline
19 Post subject: File Alteration Monitor daemon (famd) causes 100% cpu usage  PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 16:29

Good day.

I'm a recent convert to aptosid, coming from Ubuntu. I can say that this distro satisfies the tinkerer in me. What's even better is that I get to stay on the edge, with a little caution of course. I also came upon Linux Mint Xfce RC, but 0.93GB iso download vs. 430MB iso, aptosid is the best deal for me, considering that the iso would be easily outdated because of a rolling release. I like my distro lean and fast, without the fats. Very Happy

On to my report. I'm noticing 100% cpu usage on one core whenever famd is running. Waiting for a considerable amount of time doesn't make the process terminate normally, so I had to kill it. I'm unsuccessful in finding indications of it misbehaving in the log files, actually no indications are made relating to famd, or even at my .xsession-errors log.

I have recently upgraded my 2011-01 aptosid install, running Linux 2.6.38-2.slh.3-aptosid-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 5 17:47:34 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux on a Pentium 4 631.

Searching the forums yielded no results relating to my issue. I'm considering disabling the service entirely but I'm not sure how this would impact the system, or parts of it. Could somebody have any hint on this? Would disabling the service be advisable workaround?

Versions:
fam-2.7.0-17
libfam0-2.7.0-17

Code:
Host/Kernel/OS  "aptosid" running Linux 2.6.38-2.slh.3-aptosid-686 i686 [ aptosid 2011-01 Γῆρας - xfce - (201102052006) ]
CPU Info        2x Intel Pentium 4 2048 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm ) clocked at [ 2400.000 MHz ]
Videocard       Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller  X.Org 1.9.5  [ 1280x720@59.9hz ]
Network cards   Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit
Processes 115 | Uptime 3:01 | Memory 316.0/1001.7MB | HDD ST3160815AS,ST3320620AS Size 480GB (56%used) | Client Shell | Infobash v3.35

Reply with quote Back to top
blackholeOffline
Post subject: RE: File Alteration Monitor daemon (famd) causes 100% cpu us  PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 16:47

In my aptosid system I have libfam0 but not fam installed...

braveheartleoOffline
Post subject: RE: File Alteration Monitor daemon (famd) causes 100% cpu us  PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 18:00

Well I didn't specifically install it on purpose, and I may have missed seeing that being given as part of some software packages I recently installed, but I doubt that.

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: File Alteration Monitor daemon (famd) causes 100% cpu us  PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 20:18

you could try gamin instead of fam.

greetz
devil

braveheartleoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: File Alteration Monitor daemon (famd) causes 100% cp  PostPosted: 09.04.2011, 00:53

devil wrote:
you could try gamin instead of fam.

greetz
devil

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm wondering, since I didn't specifically installed FAM, why this came with the install instead of Gamin, which describes itself as
      Quote:
Gamin has been designed as a drop-in replacement for FAM with security
and maintainability in mind and can use Linux's advanced inotify
service when available.

Perhaps I will do this instead.

UPDATE:

I’m not sure why Fam would be used in aptosid instead of Gamin. As a workaround I opted to replace it with Gamin, and I have several things to say about this:

1) If I manually remove fam and libfam0 packages then this will remove other packages as well. Simulate the removal process first to see if this is acceptable. However,

2) If I install gamin and libgamin on top of fam and libfam0, then those other packages will not be removed, save for libgnomevfs and thunar-vfs and fam. It really seems that Gamin is indeed a drop-in replacement for Fam, because removing Fam removes a couple more packages, while installing Gamin on top of Fam will remove Fam but not the others.

These observations are done on aptosid Xfce. Not sure how things are with KDE and Fam.

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: File Alteration Monitor daemon (famd) causes 100  PostPosted: 09.04.2011, 07:29

well, over the years, fam and gamin both had their problems (eating up CPU).
so, use what works ok at a given time on given hardware.

greetz
devil

IgnorantGuruOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: File Alteration Monitor daemon (famd) causes 100  PostPosted: 11.04.2011, 18:41

I have seen fam do this a few times. Once it did it when I had disabled it at boot and started it manually later. It did it repeatedly so I had to reboot. Then it also did it once when I was testing updates to pcmanfm-mod (which uses fam or gamin).

If you're not using a program which relies on fam, it can be disabled. You'll know if you need it because a program like pcmanfm-mod won't be able to detect changes in the folders.
      Code:
# disable at boot
update-rc.d fam disable
# re-enable at boot
update-rc.d fam enable

As for fam vs gamin, I had gamin installed on Arch Linux and was told it was better than fam. But I find fam works better in pcmanfm-mod than gamin did - changes are detected instantly whereas there was a delay with gamin. There could have been other factors, but in general fam has been working well for me.

Jump to: