View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cheekybadgerOffline
Post subject: reinstalling grub. can't cp resolv.conf  PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 12:36

Hi
grub failed to boot and goes to grubrescue at startup so am reinstalling grub following the instructions on the manual Using chroot to recover an overwritten or corrupted Grub in the MBR.
when I cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/aptosid-chroot/etc/resolv.conf

I get this error.

Code:
root@aptosid:/home/aptosid# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/aptosid-chroot/etc/resolv.conf
cp: `/etc/resolv.conf' and `/mnt/aptosid-chroot/etc/resolv.conf' are the same file
root@aptosid:/home/aptosid#

without this I can't connect to the internet to reinstall grub-pc

Reply with quote Back to top
apogarteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 13:16

hi

can you please explain in details the way you proceeded to
chroot ?

finottiOffline
Post subject: Re: reinstalling grub. can't cp resolv.conf  PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 13:28

cheekybadger wrote:

when I cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/aptosid-chroot/etc/resolv.conf

I get this error.

Code:
root@aptosid:/home/aptosid# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/aptosid-chroot/etc/resolv.conf
cp: `/etc/resolv.conf' and `/mnt/aptosid-chroot/etc/resolv.conf' are the same file
root@aptosid:/home/aptosid#

I've seen this error before when I was installing a new SSD. Since I had rynced /etc from both HDs, I've assumed that that was the reason. Even though I did not take any action after that, everything worked for me anyway. I figured they if they are the same I didn't need to copy it.

But, if you need to, you can try to manually remove the one in the mounted partition. Make a copy of the original resolv.conf before that, in case it gets erased to!

cheekybadger wrote:

without this I can't connect to the internet to reinstall grub-pc

I did not have internet connection and could reinstall it without problems. Maybe because I had grub-pc package still in /var/cache/apt/archives/ Maybe you can download it and copy it there. (I'm not an expert... just an idea.)

Luis

finottiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 13:29

apogarte wrote:

can you please explain in details the way you proceeded to
chroot ?

As he said, it is in the manual.

http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin-grub2-en.htm#mbr-over-grub2

Luis

cheekybadgerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 13:53

yeah, as Luis points out, I followed the steps in the Manual to get to chroot, its in this one from final stage that I have problems. I usually apt-get clean after updates which is why its not cache.

where would I download it and copy it to the cache?

finottiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 14:28

I think you can get it from here:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/grub2/

cheekybadgerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.04.2011, 18:31

I've used the instructions in the manual above http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin- ... over-grub2 called 'MBR Bootsector overwritten by Windows, a corrupted and /or to recover Grub2' to reinstall grub using an aptosid live cd and it seems to have worked, and booted fine.
should I mark this solved? as it hasn't solved the chroot problem I just solved my problem using a different method.

kb0haeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.04.2011, 16:51

I just installed aptosid 11-01 on a new to me IBM T43. Before doing a d-u I had no problems. After d-u grub gave the grub-rescue prompt, and there was an error when I tried any commands. After an hour of fruitless searchig and trying different things from a live dvd, I re-installed aptosid, and put the grub-pc package on hold per the aptosid manual before doing a d-u. Worked great.

slhAdministrator
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.04.2011, 16:58

When grub-pc updates, it asks you via debconf where it should write the bootsector, with grub2 it's important to keep bootsector and stage2 in sync - so make sure to (keep) select your Bootdisk.

Jump to: