View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jmmOffline
Post subject: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)...  PostPosted: 31.03.2011, 09:28

new to aptosid. really enjoying so far.

however,having difficulty with sources list after running smxi.

could someone post their sources list that includes non-free and multimedia so i can copy and paste into mine?

thanks.

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)...  PostPosted: 31.03.2011, 09:44
Team Member

Hi,
welcome to Aptosid. The official sources can be found at http://aptosid.com/files/misc/ and are sufficient for almost all needs.
The smxi script is not supportable by us, and we strongly recommend to stay away from it.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
ShakaZOffline
Post subject: RE: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)...  PostPosted: 11.04.2011, 02:29

#deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.be.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
#testing and experimental for some packages not uptodate in sid (echo 'APT::Default-Release "sid";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf) to set default to stable, then override for required packages: apt-get install -t testing wine or apt-get install iceweasel/experimental
deb ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
#aptosid
deb http://ftp.spline.de/pub/aptosid/debian/ sid main fix.main
# multimedia sources added by exoodles
deb **removed**/ unstable main non-free
deb **removed**/ testing main
#moblock IP filter
deb http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net/debian sid main
#google-talkplugin
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/deb/ stable main

Edit : Well it seems debian multimedia repositories are censored here. Seems a bit odd as I'm pretty sure it doesn't present any legal issues in Europe and many other countries.
They are quite easy to find though if you search for them.

Last edited by ShakaZ on 12.04.2011, 00:00; edited 1 time in total

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)...  PostPosted: 11.04.2011, 06:14
Team Member

That multimedia is forbidden here is written down in your rules you have accepted while registering.
For details consult google about the the Digital Millennium Copyright Act which has equivalents in more or less all countries around the globe. (if the explanation in the **removed** link is not enough already…)

The problem is that these laws forbid breaking copyprotections on e.g. DVDs (which you need to play some)- but most countries haven't decided (by a lawsuit at the highest instance) if the used protection is valid or not. The only exception i know of is Finland, but this one has properly other 'nice' rules…

And with my 'APT hat' on i strongly advice against setting APT::Default-Release to 'stable' in an 'unstable' as this will have many interesting results, but most likely not always these a user might expect…

ShakaZOffline
Post subject: RE: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)...  PostPosted: 11.04.2011, 23:59

AFAIK software patents are still not valid in Europe, even though it's possible to register them. I'm aware about the USA trying to impose their DCMA all over the planet, haven't read anything these last years suggesting they had effectively managed to get anywhere near having most of the countries adopting those rules. Copy protections can still be circumvented without any issue as they fall under the copyright exception of copy for personal use in many countries. If you want to add another country to your list, Belgium, here personal use copy and "pirate" P2P is implicitly condoned by the copyright taxes we pay on writeable CD's, DVD's, Hard drives and other media.

If you have any sources of information confirming your claims about DCMA being adopted and enforced almost everywhere I'd be happy to enlighten myself.

Thanks for pointing out my error there about the APT::Default-Release, I checked my system just to be sure and it was set to sid as it should.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)...  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 01:42

ShakaZ wrote:
AFAIK software patents are still not valid in Europe, even though it's possible to register them. I'm aware about the USA trying to impose their DCMA all over the planet, haven't read anything these last years suggesting they had effectively managed to get anywhere near having most of the countries adopting those rules. Copy protections can still be circumvented without any issue as they fall under the copyright exception of copy for personal use in many countries. If you want to add another country to your list, Belgium, here personal use copy and "pirate" P2P is implicitly condoned by the copyright taxes we pay on writeable CD's, DVD's, Hard drives and other media.

If you have any sources of information confirming your claims about DCMA being adopted and enforced almost everywhere I'd be happy to enlighten myself.

Thanks for pointing out my error there about the APT::Default-Release, I checked my system just to be sure and it was set to sid as it should.

This site is hosted in Germany and that country has pretty strong copyright laws too and the aptosid team has to enforce the restrictions on everyone...otherwise the site could be shut down for copyright reasons

*shudders*

ShakaZOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 07:38

The obvious solution in this case would be to host it in a country which doesn't have these restrictions, as many controversial websites have done in the past. Am I missing something here?

The issue at hand here is the ability to use a computer to it's full potential. That doesn't seem wrong in any aspect. Downloading copyrighted material for free seems much more questionable yet it still makes up a considerable chunk of all internet traffic, with many websites enabling it being hosted in countries which do have those restrictive laws.
If linux users weren't able to use commonly available multimedia formats and media, how many of them would stop seeing it as a viable platform?
This is something worth fighting for, not just accept as an unavoidable fact.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 10:45
Team Member

Our policy is clear and necessary to protect our team, and users in several countries as well. This forum is definitely the wrong place to fight for political changes - not here, please. Please stick to support questions.

The OT has rendered his system unsupportable and should seek support from the author of the script he uses. Thanks for understanding.

I am moving this to "Dragons".

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
diblOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: sources list (including non-free and multime  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 10:49

ShakaZ wrote:

The issue at hand here is the ability to use a computer to it's full potential.

If that is the issue, then we can be done, because you and I can use our aptosid systems to the full potential of our computers. What can you not do with your computer, with the aptosid OS?

The only restriction is what you can write about on the aptosid forum, regarding possible ways to breach copyrighted works, and software packages that might let you do that.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)...  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 13:36
Team Member

ShakaZ wrote:

The European equivalent of the DMCA is the 10 years old EUCD. Both the DMCA and the EUCD are born out of the WIPO Copyright Treaty.

As slam has said this is not the venue to fight these battles. Wherever you are in the world though I am sure you will be able to find a group active in this area that will welcome your support.

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: sources list (including non-free and multimedia)  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 22:04

The Netherlands has been one of the most lenient countries when it comes to the sharing of copyrighted material on the Internet, and all might come to a stop

http://torrentfreak.com/dutch-governmen ... ay-110411/

Jump to: