View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
arwaOffline
Post subject: flash plugin: latest version?  PostPosted: 16.04.2011, 20:29

Because of big security issues and a current patch from adobe it es highly recommended to install flash version 10.2.159.1.

The question is, how to get this version into debian/sid? Which package should I install? Currently I am using flashplugin-nonfree 1:2.8.3, but this only installs Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102. Is this package still maintained? Or does it not automatically update the flash version and I have to invoke an update-command?

Which is the best way to install the recent version of flash and to keep it uptodate?

Thanks,
arwa

Reply with quote Back to top
arwaOffline
Post subject: RE: flash plugin: latest version?  PostPosted: 16.04.2011, 20:41

Ok, via the homepage link in /usr/share/doc/flashplugin-nonfree/README I did find the way to http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer#Inst ... _and_usage

So you really have to invoke the command
      Code:
update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
as root. I never did this before. So you have to check for flash updates manually. This is bad. Is there a better way?

diblOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: flash plugin: latest version?  PostPosted: 16.04.2011, 22:24

arwa wrote:
So you have to check for flash updates manually. This is bad. Is there a better way?

Not an official answer, but if you think about it, is an OS that follows DFSG going to go automatically looking for proprietary updates? Probably not.

redsidOffline
Post subject: Out of the box!  PostPosted: 16.04.2011, 22:26

I don't believe you are going to get the latest flash from Debian. Try to remember it's NON-FREE! You had the links to get what you want. Think out of the aptosid box! Remember, Linux is free software for free thinkers!

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Out of the box!  PostPosted: 17.04.2011, 07:53
Team Member

update-flashplugin-nonfree will get you the latest version, 10.3.162.29 today. And no, there is no automated way to upgrade the plugin in Debian.

However, depending on your actual needs (and the code quality of web sites you visit), recent mozilla-plugin-gnash might be a free open source alternative well maintained in Debian. It supports most SWF v7 features and some SWF v8 and v9. SWF v10 is not (yet) supported. For decent video performance HTML5 is recommended, many video sites like Youtube and Vimeo already offer it as an alternative. Gnash is a high priority project for the Free Software Foundation, which will ensure further development.
To install it, do:
      Code:
apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree
apt-get update && apt-get install mozilla-plugin-gnash

Please understand that improvements can happen only if people actually use it, and provide bug reports.
Greetings,
Chris

Last edited by slam on 07.05.2011, 08:59; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
arwaOffline
Post subject: RE: Out of the box!  PostPosted: 17.04.2011, 09:11

a) It seems that "update-flashplugin-nonfree --install" only is downloading flash if there really is a new version. So I could try to write an init-script that checks for updates automatically.

b) gnash: It is a very interesting and important project. As I already dropped nvidia and am using nouveau I really would appreciate a free alternative to flash. The thing is that we are developing and using an application in flash at work. So I did not yet dare to try gnash as I think there will be incompatibilities (we already have between different flash versions).

Thanks,
arwa

mirixOffline
Post subject: RE: Out of the box!  PostPosted: 05.05.2011, 16:43

Lately I had mild sound problems with the sid version of the non-free flash player. Uninstalling the sid package and installing the **removed** package solves the issue. The **removed** version is in fact 10.2.159.1.

domiciusOffline
Post subject: RE: Out of the box!  PostPosted: 05.05.2011, 22:14

As already noted in this thread, update-flashplugin-nonfree should get you the latest version and that is 10.2.159.1 (it does it for me on my aptosid system) - there should be no need to install different version of the flashplugin-nonfree package let alone from different repositories. In fact, all Debian repositories have the same version (2.8.3) and I believe each will do the same for you. Have no idea about other repositores but if the one you're using now downloaded 10.2.159.1 for you, it doesn't seem it does anything different than Debian's.

mirixOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 11:54

I have tried all 3 options:

- Gnash does not work at all.
- Proprietary flash from the sid repos gives me sound problems.
- Proprietary flash from certain repos that should not be mentioned makes my system unstable.

Is there anything shittier than flash on Earth?

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 12:42
Team Member

Gnash works for me for quite a few sites. Most prominent is youtube as an example maybe. If that really doesn't work try to remove the hidden directory '.gnash' in your home with e.g. 'rm -rf ~/.gnash' as this seems to be incompatible between versions.

Some sites insist on proprietary flash through, but for me again the one downloaded by the package from debian works as expected. No ideas for that one…

redsidOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 14:49

Well folks, personally, I get my Adobe flash 10.3 d162 and Nvidia 270.41.06 direct from their creators. I have zero problems with them.
I have 2 computers with 4 OS's, all downloaded from this site. I also am fully updated with no holds!
Am I smarter than the rest of you? Nope! Can I think for myself? Yep!

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 20:14

mirix wrote:
I have tried all 3 options:

- Gnash does not work at all.
- Proprietary flash from the sid repos gives me sound problems.
- Proprietary flash from certain repos that should not be mentioned makes my system unstable.

Is there anything shittier than flash on Earth?

Youtube videos with flash work fine for me...may be a possible driver issue?

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.05.2011, 10:13
Team Member

Congrats you smart badass redsid for being so much more intelligent. It's an increasable honor to talk or even listen to you, so keep up talking!

Wink
Seriously, it's not the point that you can't do that, it is just that you don't need to and that you avoid extra work if you don't. That's all… I am personally very annoyed every time i need to search on a website for a download link for software - its much easier to use the standard debian-tools to do that for me. Call me lazy, but it avoids wasting my mental abilities on tasks even a dumb program can do for me…

daniel_roOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.08.2011, 08:52

How in the world can I install flash? Downloaded the .deb file, tried above links with update flashplugin then remove non-free and install plugin-gnash. Still no videos on youtube. Anyone care to help, please?

wofritzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.08.2011, 09:07

Did you try the Debian way as described here:

http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

That worked for me on several installations.

Jump to: