View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
orcaOffline
Post subject: aptosid installation as chroot under Debian lenny-amd64  PostPosted: 11.09.2010, 20:17

Hi there

I would like, if possible, to install the newest aptosid version (Ceres amd-64, I guess) as a chroot in my hard disk under a host Debian lenny system. In fact, I already have two chroots of Debian itself (etch-i386 and lenny-i386). I would, in principle, think of following the instructions in http://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap, which, as far as I remember, were the ones I essentially followed for my two previous chroots, that is:

>> cd /var/chroots/
>> mkdir aptosid-amd64
>> debootstrap sid ./aptosid-amd64 http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/aptosid/debian/

My doubt is whether I can really issue the last debootstrap command to install aptosid or whether I should somehow download the iso image and somehow (??) debootstrap from it, if possible at all...

Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry if this is a stupid question but I could not find anything in my search on the web...

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: aptosid installation as chroot under Debian lenny-amd64  PostPosted: 11.09.2010, 20:29
Team Member

The aptosid repo is NOT a complete distro. You need the debian repo to get 99% of the distro. In simple words: aptosid is "just" an overlay which can't exist without debian.

Most of what aptosid does is work on live cd,kernel, artwork, theming, manual, a few little helpers (Ceni, kernel-remover, fw-detect, …) and a tiny bit of 0day-bugfixing important packages. Most of it doesn't make a lot of sense in a chroot, so just go ahead and create a clean sid-chroot. You can add aptosid repo later if you want and/or need…

orcaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2010, 20:59

Hi DonKult

I will then proceed to installing sid under a chroot and then add the aptosid repos...

Thank you very much!

Jump to: