View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vachiOffline
Post subject: How to use A2DP bluetooth headset  PostPosted: 23.04.2011, 04:00

I just managed to pair my bluetooth headset (Jabra BT620) using bluedevil and tried to play some audio using VLC. However, the audio did not go out to the headset.

Looking around in KDE system settings reveal nothing that look like the way to configure bluetooth headset.

Google search result shows that I may need pulseaudio and some arcane commandline editing. Is it *that* difficult or there is any newer easier way to do it?

Reply with quote Back to top
michaaa62Offline
Post subject: RE: How to use A2DP bluetooth headset  PostPosted: 23.04.2011, 09:29

Not using vlc here, but could you not pick up the audio device in vlc's audio settings?

vachiOffline
Post subject: RE: How to use A2DP bluetooth headset  PostPosted: 23.04.2011, 11:52

Could not find anything that look like that.
Anyway, this shouldn't be per-application setting, should it?
The other popular OS directs all sound to the headset.

blackholeOffline
Post subject: RE: How to use A2DP bluetooth headset  PostPosted: 23.04.2011, 12:19

Not sure that bluedevil support bluetooth audio. If I remember well you can have this with blueman, but recently blueman is not working after last dist-upgrades.

vachiOffline
Post subject: RE: How to use A2DP bluetooth headset  PostPosted: 23.04.2011, 15:32

After pairing, right click menu in bluedevil shows that the headset is connected as audio sink, and shows option to disconnect it. So, I guess bluedevil has certain level of support. It might not be completely supported as you suggest, though. My Google search turned up nothing interesting about that.

It is unfortunate that such basic hardware support is still lacking...
Hope linux devs use more bluetooth headset Smile

kris99Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.04.2011, 10:58

I have had the same problem 1.5 years ago. I found a hint in another forum to use pulseaudio. Give it a try. Just install pa and use pavucontrol to manage the audio streams.

These are the packages installed on my machine:
      Code:
ii  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio                    0.10.28-3                      GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii  libpulse-browse0                            0.9.21-4                       PulseAudio client libraries (zeroconf support)
ii  libpulse-dev                                0.9.21-4                       PulseAudio client development headers and libraries
ii  libpulse-mainloop-glib0                     0.9.21-4                       PulseAudio client libraries (glib support)
ii  libpulse0                                   0.9.21-4                       PulseAudio client libraries
ii  libsox-fmt-pulse                            14.3.2-1                       SoX PulseAudio format I/O library
ii  pulseaudio                                  0.9.21-4                       PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-esound-compat                    0.9.21-4                       PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer
ii  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth                 0.9.21-4                       Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-gconf                     0.9.21-4                       GConf module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-hal                       0.9.21-4                       HAL to udev transitioning module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-jack                      0.9.21-4                       jackd modules for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-x11                       0.9.21-4                       X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-zeroconf                  0.9.21-4                       Zeroconf module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-utils                            0.9.21-4                       Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server
ii  vlc-plugin-pulse                            1.1.9-1                        PulseAudio plugin for VLC

If you use the flashplugin you have to create the file ~/.asoundrc with the following content to get the sound working with iceweasel or firefox:
      Code:
pcm.bluetooth {
   type bluetooth
   device XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
   profile "auto"             #optional, supported profiles are: auto, hifi and voice
}
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

The device id could be found with 'hcitool scan'.

Some members in the board don't like pa since it crashes the system partial in the past. I installed this solution 3 times on different machines and do not have any problems.

Hope this helps

Kris

vachiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.04.2011, 16:23

Thank you Kris.
So I need to drag in Pulse Audio to use my headset, as suspected.
I just hoped there might have been some new "automagic" way now.
Like, just install a specific .deb and get a knob on mixer control or something...

Jump to: