View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
10toeOffline
15 Post subject: <solved> wlan: No DHCPOFFERS  PostPosted: 22.04.2011, 21:23

I want to report a problem with the wlan connection that occurs randomly. This is new, only since about a week (maybe after an du). After reboot I can not rely that the wlan connection is going to be built. A new configuration with ceni then shows:

Code:
Configuring interface wlan0=wlan0 (inet)
run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/bridge
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant
wpa_supplicant: wpa-driver nl80211,wext (default)
wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant -s -B -P /var/run/wpa_supplicant.wlan0.pid -i wlan0 -D nl80211,wext -C /var/run/wpa_supplicant
Starting /sbin/wpa_supplicant...
wpa_supplicant: waiting for "/var/run/wpa_supplicant.wlan0.pid":  0 (max. 5)
wpa_supplicant: creating sendsigs omission pidfile: /lib/init/rw/sendsigs.omit.d/wpasupplicant.wpa_supplicant.wlan0.pid
wpa_supplicant: ctrl_interface socket located at /var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0
wpa_supplicant: configuring network block -- 0
wpa_supplicant: wpa-ssid "<edit>" -- OK
wpa_supplicant: wpa-psk ***** -- OK
wpa_supplicant: enabling network block 0 -- OK

dhclient -v -pf /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.wlan0.leases wlan0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/ <edit>
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/ <edit>
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-up.d
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/000resolvconf
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/mountnfs
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/openssh-server
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/wpasupplicant

Press Enter key to continue ...

But why? The router-log shows up there IS an dhcp-offer:

Code:
04/22/2011  22:44:10 sending OFFER to 192.168.2.102
04/22/2011  22:44:02 sending OFFER to 192.168.2.102
04/22/2011  22:43:47 sending OFFER to 192.168.2.102
04/22/2011  22:43:37 sending OFFER to 192.168.2.102
04/22/2011  22:43:27 sending OFFER to 192.168.2.102
04/22/2011  22:42:30 sending OFFER to 192.168.2.102
04/22/2011  22:42:14 sending OFFER to 192.168.2.102

And by the way, it's only with wlan, the lan dhcp works fine.

There are some "possible errors" that I can exclude:

Code:
rfkill list
0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no

The PSK is definitely correct, the router was reset (and firmware updated), and as I mentioned above, randomly it works.

Code:
04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)

Anybody else with this kind of behavior? What else should I try?

edit: marked as solved

Last edited by 10toe on 28.04.2011, 19:39; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
ShakaZOffline
Post subject: RE: wlan: No DHCPOFFERS - huh? sure there are!  PostPosted: 23.04.2011, 17:23

Maybe one of those :
- driver issue
- firewall blocking the dhcp offers
- bad reception, interference : the link from the router to your computer may be weaker than the other way round, for instance if the transmitting antenna from the router is not located in a good spot or if the transmitting power of the router is too low. In that case any interference (gsm, microwave, other wifi...) may degrade the signal to the point where it's unusable. Solutions may be to choose a higher transmission power on the router, put the router and/or antennas in a better position.
I used to have this issue mostly when saturating the bandwidth with p2p, the bandwidth would slow to a crawl and sometimes it would be impossible to renew dchp. Same thing, seemed to occur randomly though there was a general pattern of the time of the day it occurred more frequently (probably due to interference in that case).
Haven't completely figured it out, but I think it might be related to driver issues the computer's wifi, a router issue, or the firewall of the router kicking in due to too many connection attempts.
You may want to read about bufferbloat also. It may be that the buffers of the router are full to the point that the dhcp offers all timeout.
The issues are mostly over since I configured QoS of the router, reduced txquelen of the wifi of both the router and the PC, and added traffic shaping (wondershaper) on the PC.
Wifi chip : Atheros AR928X Wireless
Router : Linksys WRT54GL running on latest DD-WRT firmware

10toeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.04.2011, 10:34

ShakaZ, thanks a lot for your suggestions! I am writing on the said machine via wlan right now - and I think it was (or maybe still is) a combination of driver and interference issue.

I give a short summary:

I gave it a try for a fresh dist-upgrade, but the firmware-b43-lpphy-installer was not available any more (404 error). Too bad, I had to go for the braodcom-sta driver. Okay, seemed to work again, but still "no dhcpoffers".

Then I tried with other adjustments. Class: "Auto" (instead of allow-hotplug) did it - at least for the moment, and only after I cut the "wire-lan" connection. I don't believe that was the real reason. A few days later (today) there is "no dhcp-offer" - again.

So I tried switching through the channels... well, finally, it works. But I have the dim feeling that this was not the end of the game either. Well, I'll wait a few days before I switch the thread to "solved".

Thanks again ShakaZ for your important suggestions!

Offtopic:

This machine is an lenovo G530. I bought it for my wife for her daily office tasks. It was very inexpensive and sold without OS, so I thought it was perfect for our desire.

But what I saved in Euros I payed back - in "hours"...

To tell the truth, I learned that the broadcom wifi card is a pain in linux. So the easiest way would be to change the mini-PCI-card with an atheros-based card or something else. But lenovo does not allow this: the BIOS has a blockade and refuses a boot with "unauthorised" hardware.

Well, just as a warning, in case anyone tinkers with the idea of buying one of these cheap machines, G550 and so on have the same blockade as far as I know. You have to have ...patience. (ok, to be fair, on the other hand everything else on them is "okay").

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.04.2011, 13:58

@10toe, there are BIOS's that are patched to disable that "hardware blockade" so that you can use ANY wifi card that fits the slot. My Thinkpad T42 has such a patched BIOS and I am using an Atheros card that's normally not supported. Broadcom cards are still a royal PITA these days

kb0haeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.04.2011, 14:16

Actually there is an easily installed bios patch for at least some IBM matchines. The problem is that IBM wants you to have to use IBM branded mini-pci cards. Non-IBM branded cards will give an error at boot. The patch changes one bit in bios, which disables the IBM brand checking. The patch is reversed if you reset bios to default settings. I installed the patch on a T41, after which the mini-pci card worked fine.

ShakaZOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.04.2011, 14:58

@10toe : Yes I should have mentioned the importance of channel wrt interference especially in environments with a lot of wifi devices. The wifi channels that are close to each other have frequencies that are partially overlapping, which causes interference. If you're on the same channel as another wifi device there is time sharing and you're reception is dependent on how aggressive the other device is.
Theoretically the best channel is 1 as it is less weakened by obstacles, but then you have to take into account what channels other wifi devices are using.
For instance, in my neighbourhood, there's a free community wifi network that crosses all over the city. It uses channel 1, probably with high powered antennas, so it's impossible to use that channel. Considering other channels used around my place (5,6,6,6,8,11,12), the next best channel is 3 which I'm using.

10toeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.04.2011, 19:51

Ok, a few days did past, wlan worked 100%. Problem solved - for now.

Thanks for your suggestions of flashing the BIOS. I will consider this in the future. (Hm, it is legal, isn't it?)

Thanks,
10toe

Jump to: