View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Show latest post on top by default?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 49

slamOffline
Post subject: Forum: Show latest post first instead of oldest?  PostPosted: 05.05.2011, 12:38
Team Member

Please vote, we could set that default (instead of leaving it as an option for the user settings).
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Reply with quote Back to top
DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Forum: Show latest post first instead of oldest?  PostPosted: 05.05.2011, 13:48

I'd rather see a "New Posts" button where you can see all the newest posts since my your last visit to the forum.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Forum: Show latest post first instead of oldest?  PostPosted: 05.05.2011, 13:52
Team Member

DeepDayze wrote:
I'd rather see a "New Posts" button where you can see all the newest posts since my your last visit to the forum.

Forum index, right side above the red title second link View unread posts. I personally have bookmarked this site…

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Forum: Show latest post first instead of oldest?  PostPosted: 05.05.2011, 15:16

DonKult wrote:
      DeepDayze wrote:

Forum index, right side above the red title second link View unread posts. I personally have bookmarked this site…

Ahh I see it now..thanks!

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Forum: Show latest post first instead of oldest?  PostPosted: 05.05.2011, 17:36

huh, you didnt know that one?
that is the only way i use these forums since the first animal left the ocean.

greetz
devil

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Forum: Show latest post first instead of old  PostPosted: 05.05.2011, 17:48

devil wrote:
huh, you didnt know that one?
that is the only way i use these forums since the first animal left the ocean.

greetz
devil
My bad devil...had a brain fart Embarassed

dptOffline
Post subject: Re: Forum: Show latest post first instead of oldest?  PostPosted: 05.05.2011, 19:31

slam wrote:
Please vote, we could set that default (instead of leaving it as an option for the user settings).
Greetings,
Chris

I would set the current as default and the option to choose for those who prefer the other way or those who want to try.

In emails also people follow both conventions, quite confusing at times when used to one. The replies can be at top (there I prefer that way, again maybe because used to it) or at the bottom.

Obvious voted for current sytem. 58% with total 17 votes.

EDIT: Corrected "I emails" in last paragraph to "In emails".

Last edited by dpt on 09.05.2011, 17:35; edited 1 time in total

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: small nudges.  PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 03:21

i prefer the present default, because people at least have to pretend that they have read/followed the thread.

last post at the top it would be WAY too ez to comment/jibberjabber without having taken in what had already been said.

ike.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: small nudges.  PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 08:47
Team Member

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

Wink
Arrow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

Sounds for me like a personal style thing, but i a much in favor of FIFO (first-in first-out) instead of FILO (first-in last-out). And at least every forum i know of works as the current default does…

spockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.05.2011, 22:28

I agree with Don that TOFU is suboptimal for email. Smile

But like Devil I bookmark the Very Handy link to "View Unread Posts", and hit it each day to keep abreast of this fine forum, as I like to read every thread of interest. This involves a lot of scrolling to find the most recent post, and my GeekBrain often wonders if there any way to jump directly to the latest post since you last logged in? That would be ideal (some forums have this).

Quote:

Is it an option at the moment? I looked but could not find. Newest-post-at-top would be ideal in my situation using "View Unread Posts", but I agree that Top Posting as default for everyone could encourage casual DU-junkies to not read whole threads and miss important warnings. Crying or Very sad Exclamation Embarassed

Would Newest-post-at-top option have the whole thread in reverse order? Or are you suggesting to have just the latest post at the top, followed by the whole thread in normal order? That might be too confusing though.

Might links to individually #anchored forum posts break, if they might end up on different pages if ordered differently?

Sorry for so many questions... Wink Not essential to answer, as I'd rather not waste devs' time if other issues are more pressing, but I've not voted yet.

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.05.2011, 23:49

Quote:

if there any way to jump directly to the latest post since you last logged in? That would be ideal (some forums have this).

In unread post page, click the orange icon, you jump to the first of unread posts of the thread.
(actually, I right click it and open in new tabs).

Some time ago, I wrote I wanted such feature in the forum without knowing that such feature was already there...

It's very good feature, and I use it all the time, but, since I open unread threads in new tabs first, then start reading each thread, often I need to scroll up, to see the title thread. 8(
I with subject of thread is automatically set for each reply...

spockOffline
25 Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.05.2011, 01:49

muchan wrote:
      Quote:

if there any way to jump directly to the latest post since you last logged in? That would be ideal (some forums have this).

In unread post page, click the orange icon, you jump to the first of unread posts of the thread.
(actually, I right click it and open in new tabs).

Some time ago, I wrote I wanted such feature in the forum without knowing that such feature was already there...

Awesome! Very Happy Thanks! So I just voted No.

muchan wrote:

It's very good feature, and I use it all the time, but, since I open unread threads in new tabs first, then start reading each thread, often I need to scroll up, to see the title thread. 8(
I with subject of thread is automatically set for each reply...

Well, here using Iceweasal on Fluxbox, the thread title appears in the window titlebar. Unless you mean the individual "Post subject", which is often left blank.

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.05.2011, 08:17

Quote:

Well, here using Iceweasal on Fluxbox, the thread title appears in the window titlebar. Unless you mean the individual "Post subject", which is often left blank.

Indeed. I didn't have habit of looking the title bar. thanks for hint.

Jump to: