View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
alexkOffline
Post subject: How to get previous binary versions of Wine?  PostPosted: 14.11.2010, 22:13

I use Towo's wine versions. However, with the latest, version 1.3.7-1~frickel.1-1, I couldn't get the MS-Office 2007 installer to work at all, while it's reported to work fine in versions as recent as 1.3.5. I went to look what I had in /var/cache/apt/archives and there was only 1.3.6-1~frickel.1 in there. That happened to allow the installer to work again, but if I wanted to install version 1.3.5, or even the stable wine 1.2.1 version, is there any way to do this without compiling? The Wine Debian Apt repository only has versions up to 1.1.42~winehq1-1 and the latest version from the official Debian repositories is 1.1.32-1+b1.

Reply with quote Back to top
alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: How to get previous binary versions of Wine?  PostPosted: 13.04.2011, 19:36

OK, from the amount of replies in this thread, I take it that people should just try to compile their own version of wine, when none of the available binaries will do. I'm faced with the same situation again, where all the currently available binary versions of wine do not allow the MS-O 2007 installer to work, including 1.3.16. It appears that compiling wine requires somewhere near 1 GB or more of available disk space, including build depenedencies. I recently tried to compile version 1.3.6 on an old computer (as my main one died) and it failed for lack of disk space after using up the largest available 800+ MB block of space. So, if someone could compile the current 1.3.17 version of wine for i386/686, that would be great. Wink I will wait ...

Why the need for MS-O? Because of the nastiness of proprietary, monopoly document formats and a few issues with OpenOffice/LO's handling of things like indents in the same. Employers should not require resumes in a proprietary format, but apparently many do according to an unemployed friend of mine.

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: How to get previous binary versions of Wine?  PostPosted: 13.04.2011, 19:39

Install playonlinux, then you can use every version of wine without need of compiling.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: How to get previous binary versions of Wine?  PostPosted: 13.04.2011, 20:03
Team Member

If your important task with wine is MS-O 2007, you should really go for stable Crossover Professional, instead of hunting beta versions of wine.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: How to get previous binary versions of Wine?  PostPosted: 13.04.2011, 21:56

I too agree with playonlinux, apt-get it

mirixOffline
Post subject: RE: How to get previous binary versions of Wine?  PostPosted: 14.04.2011, 16:27

This used to work with several versions of Wine:

http://www.wine-reviews.net/microsoft/o ... guide.html

alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: How to get previous binary versions of Wine?  PostPosted: 10.05.2011, 16:52

Thanks for the useful replies here. However, I had to give up on trying to run MS-O 2007 on that Pentium II 366 MHz laptop with 256MB RAM, as the install failed no matter which wine version I used. This might have been because the machine didn't meet the hardware requirements, though I provided enough disk space.

As for PlayOnLinux, you can get a more recent version by using the Debian repository.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: How to get previous binary versions of Wine?  PostPosted: 10.05.2011, 17:33

MS Office needs a lot of ram for the intall to begin with

Jump to: