View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
aylaOffline
Post subject: Re: i wanna go back.  PostPosted: 12.05.2011, 07:55

ikeinthai wrote:
towo's procedure above did not give me x, but it DID GIVE ME A USABLE INIT 3, so i have dist-upgraded (but because no x i am posting from a different system).

Thats strange. Other then towo suggested in his post I didn't build up my xorg.conf file manually. Insteed I let aticonfig --initial do it's job. Don't know whether this was building /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default or something with your installation went wrong, but it's present on my system.

ikeinthai wrote:

other than removing radeon from the blacklist what else do i have to do to go back to radeon?

Code:
apt-get purge fglrx-glx fglrx-driver fglrx-control
apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-radeon

remove/rename all xorg.conf files you have in /etc/X11 and all .conf files you have in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

remove "blacklist radeon" where ever you have stored it in /etc/modeprobe.d

remove "radeon.modeset=0"

reboot

If radeon is not getting used automatically after this build an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf
      Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier      "Device 0"
    Driver          "radeon"
EndSection

reboot or
      Code:
init 5

greets
ayla

Last edited by ayla on 12.05.2011, 07:58; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
towoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.05.2011, 07:57

Quote:
Thats strange. Other then towo suggested in his post I didn't build up my xorg.conf file manually. I let aticonfig --initial do it's job. Don't know whether this was building /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default or something with your installation went wrong, but it's present on my system.

/etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default is a part of fglrx-driver

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: thank you.which grubline cheat?  PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 07:17

thanks ayla for the help.

removing/moving/renaming the xorg.conf file is what i forgot to do.

best to all, ike.

the next time i dist-upgrade i think i will just try a grubline cheatcode, rather than going to fglrx. which would be most likely to give me a usable x? "noxrandr"? "xmodule=vesa"?

thanks again.

aylaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 07:27

xmodule=vesa should give you an usable but slow X with reduced resolution in any case. AFAIK it is used as fallback by the free drivers anyway.

greets
ayla

towoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 07:44

1st, xmodule=vesa only works on life and need radeon.modeset=0 too.
2dn, as long as KMS is active, X cant's use vesa as fallback, since vesa does not load, if KMS is active.

aylaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 07:53

towo wrote:
2dn, as long as KMS is active, X cant's use vesa as fallback, since vesa does not load, if KMS is active.

hmm, that's not so fine, a working cheatcode to use vesa should exist for installed systems, too.
So you have to go to runlevel 3 and build a xorg.conf with driver=vesa and add the ...modeset=0 parameter to kernel command line in case of an failure?

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: thanks!  PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 08:00

towo wrote:

thanks towo for the info.

the easiest way for me to get a useable tty seems to be to shut down, "e" and then "radeon.modeset=0" on the grubline, ctrl+x to boot, then choose "console login" from dropdown menu on the login screen.

this is fine for me. i just wanted to be able to dist-upgrade outside of x. if i want a useable tty i have to shut down first. would be better if that was not the case, but oh well.

gonna mark it solved(not init 3, but is command line outside of x. close enough). thanks for the help 8D

Jump to: