View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
meinhardt.jgbrOffline
Post subject: Flawless installation from scratch on Acer Aspire 5570z NoBo  PostPosted: 14.09.2010, 16:53

Just finished flawless HDD installation of 2010-02 version without any problems on Acer Aspire 5570Z Notebook.

No bugs or inconveniences including the locales bug from previous release.
As usual, took 5 minutes 40 seconds.

Installed direct in Portugues - Brazil from first boot.

Congratz to the Dev team!

Great job!!

Cheers

Reply with quote Back to top
raidOffline
Post subject: RE: Flawless installation from scratch on Acer Aspire 5570z  PostPosted: 19.09.2010, 16:19

My aspire 5720 kde lite install on a venerable 2002 usb hd from an usb stick took 3:18 !!!
I installed the firmware for tg3 so I had to restore aptosid.list
I apparently chose the wrong option of installing to mbr (thought installer was referring to the mbr of the target disk...) so i had to spend another full minute to make the usb disk bootable and install grub on it Very Happy

Some notes: acer aspire of these series NEED the bios to be upgraded if you experience overheat and the laptop shutdowns. I managed to avoid windows by upgrading the bios through a freedos livecd remastered with the bios utilities (the cd is letter Y: ) - it's a risky practice though.

Also, I had to open the back panel and unscrew the fan, since the dirt accumulates there and it makes it overheat even if the rest of the board seems clean enough.

raidOffline
Post subject: RE: Flawless installation from scratch on Acer Aspire 5570z  PostPosted: 22.09.2010, 00:29

It's me again, 2:21 on a brand new acer extensa.

Add 5 minutes since I had messed up the grub installation step again, putting it into the isohybrid usb stick and making it unbootable, while windows mbr was untouched. Serves me right, I should read docs.

Note, if you have to dualboot, discovering that OEM ships the laptop with all four primary partitions already occupied and learning the joys of the win7 partitioner or what to do in linux like not rounding partitions to cylinder/MB, is risky and takes much more time.

meinhardt.jgbrOffline
Post subject: RE: Flawless installation from scratch on Acer Aspire 5570z  PostPosted: 01.10.2010, 02:32

My aptosid install is working without any bugs to notice since sept/14th.

Fantastic, compared to Hypnos version, probably due to xorg conflicts and kernel incompatibilities which are nothing new when referring to Notebooks. Actually abnormal is when a Notebook works flawlessly from first install tentative, or maybe nowadays is is way better than when I started back on yr 2000 with old Mandrake 6.

meinhardt.jgbrOffline
Post subject: RE: Flawless installation from scratch on Acer Aspire 5570z  PostPosted: 03.02.2011, 11:34

Latest dist-upgrade including kernel update to 2.6.37 also working flawlessly.

Jump to: