View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
giaurOffline
Post subject: Problem with kernel sources (?)  PostPosted: 25.05.2011, 19:17

Hello,

I'm trying to install drivers for my dv-t usb tuner, using this: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Kworld_UB499-2T

I have finally got it compile, but driver fails to load:

Code:

modprobe dvb-usb-it9135
FATAL: Error inserting dvb_usb_it9135 (/lib/modules/2.6.39-0.slh.3-aptosid-amd64/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb-it9135.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

So, dmesg says:

Code:

[ 1036.955198] dvb_usb_it9135: Unknown symbol __stack_chk_fail (err 0)
[ 1036.955493] dvb_usb_it9135: Unknown symbol mcount (err 0)

The say, that such errors can be caused with compilation with wrong kernel sources. I've downloaded kernel sources like this:

Code:

apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)

The sources was already unpacked, so I've used it. How do you think - is this wrong sources error, or I've ommited something. Do you have any idea?

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem with kernel sources (?)  PostPosted: 25.05.2011, 19:26
Team Member

[edited]Ooops, I read the post wrong at first, sorry.

I guess you ended up with the source for the latest kernel but you are running an older kernel?

Usually you only need the headers to compile things like this and not the full kernel sources. Are you sure you really need the full kernel sources?

giaurOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem with kernel sources (?)  PostPosted: 25.05.2011, 20:16

Yes, this tutorial says that I need full kernel sources. I have no idea what's wrong - the same happens with towo kernel. Maybe I should stop trying to make this tuner work :/ This seems to be impossible

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem with kernel sources (?)  PostPosted: 25.05.2011, 20:21

The kernel sources are not useable for building out-of-tree modules, as they lack autogenerated objects created during the kernel build; the kernel headers are the only option for building kernel modules.

giaurOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem with kernel sources (?)  PostPosted: 25.05.2011, 20:55

Kernel sources are used to generate some headers only - they are not used during module compilation. But something is wrong - I have no idea if kernel sources does not match or this drivers are useless

Jump to: