View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 24.05.2011, 21:57

I always thought that the "tree" (geras ) was hair (gaia) Wink

anywho, easy to change

my favorite was chaos and hypnos

Reply with quote Back to top
sx9Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 25.05.2011, 15:59

Quote:

And the eyes look not friendly in my mind.

Quote:

Fred's just a friendly crab

Quote:

More like a scorpion.

There was a funny discussion about our crab-scorpion-whatever-and-big-headed mascot and I think that everyone who remember this discussion don't think that "Fred", how he/she/it is also called, is anyhow evil or unfriendly Smile

The artworkers always have made a good job - I remember when I first used sidux erebos, I liked the wallpaper and the splashscreen and the complete style, because of the detailed artwork, the effects and I didn't care much about the meaning of dark colors I even liked it, because it got style.

Another very nice one was the pontos wallpaper, which has also inspired me in my Artwork: http://yfrog.com/0ybackroundspecialdark2p

Ouranos was also very cool, and I've always had it on my USB-Disk.

But aethir was absolutely GREAT! It has had a nice style, very professional, contained perfect eyecatchers, the logo is good in the scene and is IN the picture not in front of it, like on the actual wallpapers, and the kdm screen was very nice and creative, too.

Hypnos was another masterpiece and is still unbeated, with it's detailed, stylish and effect-rich wallpaper (was hard for me to open it in inkscape, because I have lack of computer power Smile ).

I didn't like keres that much, OK the splash was nice, but apate was better again.

In the geras wallpaper I like the tree and the clouds much, because of the details again, which I also used for a drawing. But when I first saw this I found it a bit too rough and what really disturbs me is the logo. It aches when I watch it! Sorry, but especially the filling of fred doesn't fit completely! The text with the "soft"-white filling containing a gradient is OK, but the logo... Arrrgh!
I know, and I have seen that you can do it better and the artworkes have the feeling for good designs, or at least I think so, and that's the reason why I'm complaining.
Only a bit of constructive critsism Smile

My conclusion: The new graphics are nice, but a bit "chaotic/unclean" and the sidux graphics were a bit better. When I saw some graphics like those of aethir or hypnos I thought "Wow! I want to have that release!" and found them nice later on, too, but the new ones need some time to accustom oneself to it.

But I am still a fan of those artworks and look forward for new releases and interesting artwork.

PS: I also like the short release rhythms, because of new artwork Smile
To the art-team take a bit time to think about the artwork and don't get mentally pushed by the release cycles. (My method: First: Development of the artwork Next: Thinking of a release date (they are irregular - how useful Smile )
But keep on those regular release cycles!

... Why do I always use the same smiley? How boring and non-creative Smile Smile Smile Smile Very Happy Laughing Rolling Eyes Razz Mad Embarassed Cool Confused Shocked Surprised Sad Wink Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Idea Arrow Exclamation Question Question Question

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

LanziOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 25.05.2011, 17:26

with all due respect to our art-team: I liked more than 98% of your work, and I don't have the right to critisize, but I see a tendency to more geek & childish themes!

Fred is maybe an example, the cars another.
We should try to make a professional impression not to evoke the thought, that we are only a bunch of 17year old geeks who try to play.

Please go on with you fantastic work, but keep in mind to make an professional impression - unfortunatly that counts today more than what lies underneath the surface.

Just my opinion, and I wont leave for artwork neither devils nickname Wink

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 25.05.2011, 18:25

well, debians latest artwork for squeeze could easily be childish as well.
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/SpaceFun

greetz
devil

muchan
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 25.05.2011, 23:18

Quote:

Please go on with you fantastic work, but keep in mind to make an professional impression - unfortunatly that counts today more than what lies underneath the surface.

I don't know why a volunteer/amateur project need to make a professional impression...
I do professional work to get money, and do just what I feel fun for
non-professional/recreational hours...
I just hope the art team is having fun expressing their own vision about aptosid.

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: disembowel steve balmer,nail jobs to an ipad.  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 02:33

sx9 wrote:
      Quote:

And the eyes look not friendly in my mind.

Quote:

Fred's just a friendly crab

Quote:

More like a scorpion.

There was a funny discussion about our crab-scorpion-whatever-and-big-headed mascot and I think that everyone who remember this discussion don't think that "Fred", how he/she/it is also called, is anyhow evil or unfriendly :)

The artworkers always have made a good job - I remember when I first used sidux erebos, I liked the wallpaper and the splashscreen and the complete style, because of the detailed artwork, the effects and I didn't care much about the meaning of dark colors I even liked it, because it got style.

Another very nice one was the pontos wallpaper, which has also inspired me in my Artwork: http://yfrog.com/0ybackroundspecialdark2p

Ouranos was also very cool, and I've always had it on my USB-Disk.

But aethir was absolutely GREAT! It has had a nice style, very professional, contained perfect eyecatchers, the logo is good in the scene and is IN the picture not in front of it, like on the actual wallpapers, and the kdm screen was very nice and creative, too.

Hypnos was another masterpiece and is still unbeated, with it's detailed, stylish and effect-rich wallpaper (was hard for me to open it in inkscape, because I have lack of computer power :) ).

I didn't like keres that much, OK the splash was nice, but apate was better again.

In the geras wallpaper I like the tree and the clouds much, because of the details again, which I also used for a drawing. But when I first saw this I found it a bit too rough and what really disturbs me is the logo. It aches when I watch it! Sorry, but especially the filling of fred doesn't fit completely! The text with the "soft"-white filling containing a gradient is OK, but the logo... Arrrgh!
I know, and I have seen that you can do it better and the artworkes have the feeling for good designs, or at least I think so, and that's the reason why I'm complaining.
Only a bit of constructive critsism :)

My conclusion: The new graphics are nice, but a bit "chaotic/unclean" and the sidux graphics were a bit better. When I saw some graphics like those of aethir or hypnos I thought "Wow! I want to have that release!" and found them nice later on, too, but the new ones need some time to accustom oneself to it.

But I am still a fan of those artworks and look forward for new releases and interesting artwork.

PS: I also like the short release rhythms, because of new artwork :)
To the art-team take a bit time to think about the artwork and don't get mentally pushed by the release cycles. (My method: First: Development of the artwork Next: Thinking of a release date (they are irregular - how useful :) )
But keep on those regular release cycles!

... Why do I always use the same smiley? How boring and non-creative :) :) :) :) :D :lol: :roll: :P :x :oops: 8) :? :shock: :o :( :wink: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :idea: :arrow: :!: :?: :?: :?:

you might not agree with all he said, but you can't say he isn't payin attention!

devil wrote:
we had a guy leave the forum just because of my nickname. people are strange.

greetz
devil

that'd be me... but i'm back, to show you that I TOO HAVE AN A**HOLE... err, opinion:

speakin strictly for me and my numerous followers (imaginary tho they be), i propose that the following be entered into the official record:

1)hands off Fra(a umlaut)d the hermaphrodite interspecies arthropod (whether he lost two legs in the great logo wars or it was an accident of genetic manipulation has been lost to the sands of time).. anyway i propose he be proposed for beatification to the pope in rome.

2)i look forward to anything the art team feels like pushing out. looking back over the art as sx9 does above can be quite the trip down mammary lane. (speakin of which, yeah keres was dark, but sidux/aptosid was goin thru some dark times, "team on the run". so completely appropriate... and a nice diversion regardless.)

3)hypnos is my personal favorite, but if you told me i'd have to look at it for the rest of mylife... well i'd seriously consider suicide.

4)go art team! thanks for the mammaries. weathering the criticisms of nattering nabobs is probably, must become one of the joys of producing art: "they hate me, therefor i am." or maybe, "hey Vincent, can't you tone down some a these GARISH colors? be more like Albrecht! his pictures i can SELL."

love to all, ike.

ps the Debian themes linked to above look like a cross between "space invaders" and "toy story". there but for the grace of god go us.

pps i'd like to request pictures of kittens as the next splash/wallpaper... if i can't get kittens, fullgrown cats would be acceptable... and after that senior citizens wearing bondage and leather gear: spank me granny!

se7enOffline
Post subject: RE: disembowel steve balmer,nail jobs to an ipad.  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 02:57

and i would like to request a new release. I don't care if with or without "monster". Smile

aptopassionOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 06:48

detaos wrote:
      aptopassion wrote:
it's just this last wall, and other walls you'll find here on this forum I was talking about...

Yes, i know it's changeble. Still... I am not complaining. I am suggesting. I thought users have a vote in the open source world...

generally arguments over art degrade into bike-shed colouring shouting fests, so i'll stay out of that one. but as the primary artist for all releases since (and including) hypnos, i can tell you that any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

This is not an argument. No need to defend the art team, I already have in the OP.

Quote:
as to the two bits that i quoted ...

we don't/can't/won't tell our loving users how to design wallpapers for themselves and provide this forum to allow them to share their work with others. if you're not a fan of the artwork posted in this forum, then post some yourself.

To tell you the truth, I was under the impression, that they might count - as in, influence future walls. But, if it weren't for the current release's wall - i wouldn't be writing.

Quote:
yes, users absolutely do have a vote in the open source world. go back about a year and half and i was "just" a user myself. i initially "voted" with discussion in the forums, then joined the -art irc channel, and eventually "voted" with contributions and have been doing so ever since. if this is something you truly care about, then hop on in to #aptosid-art and lets talk about it.

I wasn't demanding my "rights", I'm just saying I'm using them. Also, I'm not trying to hijack the art-team, I'm just saying, ooops, careful, you might not want to go in that direction.

Also, yes - Wallpapers are changeable. Yes, the art-team is great. Now let's put this aside and maybe stay on-topic ?

This is not about me or my tastes. It is about what I and the second and third posters saw, but others seem not to. The issue might be the eye of the beholder, or it might be that there is actually something to see. - I'd say it's the later. Now please allow me to try to open some eyes.

As I said earlier, the colors red-black-silver, do push things towards blood and dark gloominess. But not necessarily. Until you add things like these into the mix:

Emo Butterfly - Dark Tree MySpace Layout: http://www.layoutlocator.com/myspace-la ... -tree.html

Take a look at these: http://www.google.com/search?q=tribal+h ... CCQQpwUoAw

or here: http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?l ... or_wheel=1

While searching for these, I learnt that a better title would be: request: no tribal swirls please. - it's too dark on red.

We can do better.

While at it, vampire trees aside, I don't like the wall at all. Clouds gives me the impression of careless chaos. Then we added some careless swirls, on random red dots. It's the opposite of let's draw at detail, of let's invest effort... Red, red, red, cloud, cloud, clouds, swirls, swirls, swirls, Fred, done. Confused - that's how children draw. What will be will be.

It's the opposite of what we see in apate - each square needed to be placed carefully. Detail, diversity, complexity - without overloading the wall. Now that takes more control, attention,time - and especially a concept about to be brought to life. But I'd say it's worth it.

Now who's with me ?

Hope this qualifies for constructive critique. If not, anyone's welcome to critique my critique. Cheers Smile

aptopassionOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 08:50

Ok, now while browsing around... I happened to stumble upon the following:

"In Greek mythology, the Keres (Κῆρες; singular: Ker Κήρ) were female death-spirits. The Keres were daughters of Nyx, and as such the sisters of Fate (Moirae), Doom (Moros), Death and Sleep (Thanatos and Hypnos), Strife (Eris), Old Age (Geras), Divine Retribution (Nemesis), Charon, and other personifications."

If so... my observations about the design being occult, dark, aso, were correct, but totally unnecessary. The design seems to be at home. I'm the odd one out... Why didn't anyone just say so?

LanziOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 13:31

@Devil: These themes are worse.., you are right Smile

@muchan: because maybe we should think about user older than 30, who do not have a male, academic and computerorientated background?
when I showed aptosid with the car-theme to friends and reletives, everybody said something like "well thats not for me, I need to work with my computer".

hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 13:51

Whenever I read that thread title I think we should ask desert rockband Meat Puppets if we can use their Attacked by Monsters as background music for the live ISO Mr. Green

hubi

kb0haeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 14:12

@aptopassion: I like the current artwork, and do not see what you do. What anypne likes (art, music,etc...) is highly subjective. If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world! I do use a walpaper I found on the net with a modified sidux pepper logo (I removed the word sidux, and added the aptosid logo copied from the top left of the pages on this site). I didn't like the cartoon, not a fan of grey.

But instead of complaining or trying to impose my views on anyone, I just change artwork that I don't like. I suggest that you do the same, and move forward. I am sure that the aptosid artworkers will do as they please as is their function. While I can cut, copy, and paste things, crop and adjust images in Gimp, I am not an artist. I do not critisize those more artistically talented than myself, even if I do not like all of their work.

ghstryderOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 14:25

Lanzi wrote:
@Devil: These themes are worse.., you are right Smile

@muchan: because maybe we should think about user older than 30, who do not have a male, academic and computerorientated background?
when I showed aptosid with the car-theme to friends and reletives, everybody said something like "well thats not for me, I need to work with my computer".

ROFL - as a user who is rather well past 30, speak for yourself.

Edit; if I thought for one moment that the wallpaper as provided was not suitable for work, you may rest assured I would select one that would. If I thought it might impact what I do, or "their" perception of what I do, there is no art team associated with any distro that I would entrust with that choice. To make a statement like "I have to work with my computer" is somewhere between pitiful and ridiculous.

aptopassionOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 15:22

@kb0hae. I dare you to show me how saying "PLEASE", and asking if anyone feels the same - "just curious"... is complaining and imposing. About not seeing what I do, it is there: if you read my previous 2 posts you'd see.
      Quote:
I just change artwork that I don't like. I suggest that you do the same, and move forward.
It looks to me like you got it upside-down again. I can't change the art-work, I'm not even allowed to criticize it, let alone change it. About suggesting, I've given up on it. People don't want to read, see or acknowledge.

In the previous post I already concluded that - given that release names fit the picture - discovering the obvious was only news for me. For when I made the suggestion, I didn't know I was going against the general guidelines, until i found that link to greek mythology on this forum.

I apologize.

Ps. before anyone happens to see ranting in this post, - it's not there - i suggest to look out for dissapointment first.

Last edited by aptopassion on 26.05.2011, 15:27; edited 1 time in total

LanziOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: request: no bloody monsters please...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 15:27

@ghstryder:
      Quote:

To make a statement like "I have to work with my computer" is somewhere between pitiful and ridiculous.

Exactly! I think, that an first impression by a live DVD or a fresh installed aptosid, that evokes such a statement is a reason to think about.

Jump to: