View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
thevortexOffline
Post subject: No sound, no Kmix, no loudspeaker icon either...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 05:46

Hello..

After a fresh installation to a Corei3 based machine, I am unable to get any sound from it. The sound card is rightly recognized as Intel HDA. But Kmix keeps crashing on me. Am unable to open any other mixer software. And the volume control icon is also missing from the taskbar.

Please advice.

Reply with quote Back to top
se7enOffline
Post subject: RE: No sound, no Kmix, no loudspeaker icon either...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 05:53

alsamixer (konsole) crashes also?

thevortexOffline
Post subject: RE: No sound, no Kmix, no loudspeaker icon either...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 06:35

Did not try alsamixer. Wanted to keep things KDE...but will try

se7enOffline
Post subject: RE: No sound, no Kmix, no loudspeaker icon either...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 12:22

alsamixer is a command line tool and installed by default.

thevortexOffline
Post subject: RE: No sound, no Kmix, no loudspeaker icon either...  PostPosted: 26.05.2011, 15:57

When the system boots, I see a series of amixer errors citing that mixer cannot be loaded. Not sure what the issue could be. And yes, I tried the alsamixer command line control. For some reason it gives me 'invalid arguments' error message. This was the command I tried - "alsamixer --card".

thevortexOffline
Post subject: RE: No sound, no Kmix, no loudspeaker icon either...  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 14:32

Any thoughts about what could be the issue here? Everything else is working fine with my install except for the sound. Would really appreciate some help.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: No sound, no Kmix, no loudspeaker icon either...  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 14:46
Team Member

thevortex wrote:
And yes, I tried the alsamixer command line control. For some reason it gives me 'invalid arguments' error message. This was the command I tried - "alsamixer --card".

Just "alsamixer" is what you want to try. If that doesn't resolve things check if your system thinks it has any sound devices available you with "aplay -l". If you still haven't found any useful clues you could have a look at /var/log/messages.

If you post what you can find out here maybe someone will have an idea what has gone wrong on you.

BTW in your first post you say the card was correctly identified as Intel HDA, where did you see this?

Jump to: