View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.05.2011, 21:45

kappfinder is gone for good (most probably)

greetz
devil

Reply with quote Back to top
kenyeeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.05.2011, 21:58

DeepDayze wrote:

Kpackage was a relic of the old KDE3 days gone by

LOL. I didn't know. I use it when I was a GUI for searching available/installed packages so I don't have to remember the apt commands Smile

What do people use instead of kpackage?

bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.05.2011, 22:06
Team Member

If you want a gui then try packagesearch which is included in kde-full (but not xfce as it is a qt application).

seasonsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.05.2011, 17:51

slh wrote:
Be aware that upower, udisks and polkit-kde-1 might need to be installed explicitly (the first two should be handled by hard dependencies, but polkit-kde-1 likely doesn't get pulled in by default).

Thank you for that. Indeed, I had to install polkit-kde-1 manually. Cheers. Cool

bmorencyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 22:44

vinur wrote:
I would like to add that the video no longer dumps video memory on the log-out background, with the last set of upgrades,

For some reason mine still dumps video memory when I logout. Does anyone know why this happens?

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.06.2011, 06:21

On my system the video memory dump effect still is exists. (nouveau driver with NV44A [GeForce 6200])

As not only nvidia cards do show this issue it seems that it came up with xorg 1.10, I guess.

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.06.2011, 06:31

Oh, but I do have another issue with KDE4.6.3 on two systems: The desktop grid (and also the desktop-switch up+down by hotkey functionality) does use the wrong desktop geometry.

One system with 6x3 desktops, a pager in a left panel (none in the default panel) uses a desktop grid of 9x2 panels (two rows). I could fix it by adding a pager in the default panel. Also I could remove it again, and the grid keeps the right geometry.

Another systems uses 4x2 desktops and the desktop grid did show 1x8 desktops. The pager is in the one and only default panel at the bottom of the screen. Removing and Readding the pager did not help. The only solution was to manually specify the desktop geometry in the desktop grid, instead of setting the layout mode to "pager".

hunkirdowneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.06.2011, 12:59

arwa wrote:
On my system the video memory dump effect still is exists. (nouveau driver with NV44A [GeForce 6200])

As not only nvidia cards do show this issue it seems that it came up with xorg 1.10, I guess.

I have nouveau running here in good condition.
nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 Go] (rev b2)

I did eventually add xserver-xorg-video-nouveau but other than possibly helping with remnants, I see no huge benefit.

Code:
# lspci -ks 01:00.0
      Quote:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 Go] (rev b2)
Subsystem: Dell Device 00d4
Kernel driver in use: nouveau

Code:
# lsmod | grep nouveau
      Quote:
nouveau 611179 2
ttm 45407 1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper 23910 2 ch7006,nouveau
drm 140084 5 ch7006,nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 4271 1 nouveau
video 9565 1 nouveau
button 3430 1 nouveau

Code:
# lshw -C display
      Quote:
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NV11 [GeForce2 Go]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: b2
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm agp agp-2.0 vga_controller bus_master vga_palette cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nouveau latency=32 maxlatency=1 mingnt=5
resources: irq:11 memory:fc000000-fcffffff memory:e0000000-e7ffffff memory:fd000000-fd00ffff

I'm sure I don't know how to check for panels in deskop or even at this point what geometry I have (other than I have four virtual desktops). Other than edification, I do not need to know this personally, but might be useful if only to provide experience with respect to troubleshooting.

I will say that on this old laptop, this upgrade ranks at the top. KDE 4.6 is faster than anything I've tried other than KDE 3.5.x (Gnome 2.x doesn't run well at all). Other than upgrading to Iceweasel 4.0, this is very close to out-of-the-box and seems to run quite well.

Let me know if any information might be useful to you and I will get back when I can.

maksrulesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.06.2011, 14:44

On two of my machines after upgrade to newest kde I cannot suspend from kde "Leave" menu or from widget. When I press the "suspend" in the menu - nothing happens, and from the widget I get a message "Do you want to suspend to RAM (sleep)?" and after clicking OK nothing happens. However, I'm not sure if it's KDE related in the first place.... udisk, upower, polkit-kde are installed.

maksrulesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.06.2011, 09:01

Guess what? It really is KDE related. When my current .kde folder is removed and a clean one is created - everything works fine. That means that something happened because of the upgrade...

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.06.2011, 13:18

maksrules wrote:
Guess what? It really is KDE related. When my current .kde folder is removed and a clean one is created - everything works fine. That means that something happened because of the upgrade...

That works as a definite last resort when you can't get certain things working. Most likely the config files got messed up along the way which can cause the issues you mentioned. You can then reset your themes and other settings to get the behavior you want.

maksrulesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.06.2011, 13:44

DeepDayze wrote:
      maksrules wrote:

That works as a definite last resort when you can't get certain things working. Most likely the config files got messed up along the way which can cause the issues you mentioned. You can then reset your themes and other settings to get the behavior you want.
That's exactly what I did - I reset everything from a clean .kde folder. Hate doing this, as there are quite a few thing to do (keyboard layouts, window buttons, etc).

Jump to: