View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
merlynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.06.2011, 07:26

slam wrote:
There is no way to "upgrade". Backup your data and settings, re-install with 64-bit, and play back in your settings and data.
Greetings,
Chris

Cheers, slam a fresh install it is.

Reply with quote Back to top
titanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.06.2011, 07:42

slam wrote:
Backup your data and settings, re-install with 64-bit, and play back in your settings and data.

Chris

Just to clarify this, If I save all my config files such as ".claws-mail" on my 32 bit system I can reinstall them on a new 64 bit system.

thanks

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.06.2011, 11:57

slam wrote:
pyfll does not build from a running system (that's called a re-master), but instead completely builds a fresh release from the repositories as they are today. It is the tool we use for the official release builds and can be found in our development SVN at Berlios. It does need some learning and understanding, but is no rocket science (short manual is included), and it will not work every day because of the rolling nature of the Debian Sid repositories. Please note that we do not support self builds in our forums or IRC.

Got it -- thank you.

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.06.2011, 14:42

Hi dibl

Exactly how devil & slam says

dibl wrote:
      piper wrote:

[ aptosid snapshot - kde-lite - (201106102023) ]

Now THAT'S interesting -- how does one acquire that particular version? Very Happy

@slam, nice avatar! Smile

dibl wrote:
      slam wrote:
pyfll does not build from a running system (that's called a re-master), but instead completely builds a fresh release from the repositories as they are today. It is the tool we use for the official release builds and can be found in our development SVN at Berlios. It does need some learning and understanding, but is no rocket science (short manual is included), and it will not work every day because of the rolling nature of the Debian Sid repositories. Please note that we do not support self builds in our forums or IRC.

Got it -- thank you.

99.9 % of my builds are built the default aptosid way with kde-lite. My days of building dvds with the kitchen sink installed have been over since the sidux days and will only make one now for a workmate or neighbor on request and for a case of beer Wink

I do make my own version which is also by default with just mythtv & mysql-server-5.1 added.

The repos from where you get mythtv do make some changes especially with ffmpeg and gstreamer and some other codecs I won't mention here

I actually love building and testing them fromiso and usb stick and harddrive on another partition or computer, but, like slam says,

"""it will not work every day because of the rolling nature of the Debian Sid repositories."""

I usually build with both 32 & 64 bit so on cd, fromiso, usb, you get your choice of which system you want, I know alot of people still on 32 bit.

You can always throw me a pm if you want to learn, mind you, I don't know much and have to thank the team (especially etorix, devil, kelmo) for what I do know and that ain't much.

Be advised as you can tell, it is really not talked about much on the forums & irc and "self" builds are really frowned upon and are NOT supported in any way shape or form.

I just know enough to build, install and compute (sometimes fix if it won't build "depending on circumstances" with apps

I do wish it wasn't frowned upon so much, or have some awesome documentation, but, OTOH I can understand why very much.

merlynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.06.2011, 23:31

piper wrote:

99.9 % of my builds are built the default aptosid way with kde-lite. My days of building dvds with the kitchen sink installed have been over since the sidux days and will only make one now for a workmate or neighbor on request and for a case of beer Wink

I do make my own version which is also by default with just mythtv & mysql-server-5.1 added.

The repos from where you get mythtv do make some changes especially with ffmpeg and gstreamer and some other codecs I won't mention here

I actually love building and testing them fromiso and usb stick and harddrive on another partition or computer, but, like slam says,

"""it will not work every day because of the rolling nature of the Debian Sid repositories."""

I usually build with both 32 & 64 bit so on cd, fromiso, usb, you get your choice of which system you want, I know alot of people still on 32 bit.

You can always throw me a pm if you want to learn, mind you, I don't know much and have to thank the team (especially etorix, devil, kelmo) for what I do know and that ain't much.

Be advised as you can tell, it is really not talked about much on the forums & irc and "self" builds are really frowned upon and are NOT supported in any way shape or form.

I just know enough to build, install and compute (sometimes fix if it won't build "depending on circumstances" with apps

I do wish it wasn't frowned upon so much, or have some awesome documentation, but, OTOH I can understand why very much.

Nice work mate, It's great to have the option of going lite, then adding what I need on an as needed basis.

Beats the living daylights out of trimming down a full install.

Cheers.

Last edited by merlyn on 23.06.2011, 11:35; edited 1 time in total

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 10:13

Hi,

does it work to install 32bit on one partition and 64bit on another and start those alternatives using the same grub-installation in the MBR?

Or does a 64bit installation require a 64bit grub and a 32bit installation a 32bit grub? If this is the case, maybe grub chaining would work?

Thanks,
arwa

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 10:21
Team Member

arwa wrote:
Or does a 64bit installation require a 64bit grub and a 32bit installation a 32bit grub?

Simple answer: No.
Longer: No. No. Wink
As long as hardware supports it you can theoretically mix and match whatever you like. That you can't install 32bit packages on a 64bit system is currently a software-restriction and not a hardware-restriction and will be removed with MultiArch really soon now (TM).

dptOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 17:34

As far as I know, when I install (add) one OS(32 or 64-bit), I do not care what other OS I have(even 32 or 64 bit). All I know is that hardware is 64-bit AMD and it will support 32-bit too(I guess the initial Intel chips had some problems, may be wrong).

I use the default for Grub (I think MBR), and everything works fine.
Just make sure that the data partitions are separate and not touched.
I do not use a seperate /home partition.

It takes less time to install and use then to check in forums, and when I install something new, I like to go through the settings and configure for the new OS for the freshness it gives to the new one.

Just my way. Everyone has his own.

Jump to: