View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jacmoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.06.2011, 10:13

@Slam:
Thanks Chris. Smile
Although I must admit that I somehow missed the nVidia drama event, I think I needed to hear that.
So, it's basically business as usual ?
In that case I am a happy camper.

@Piper and Deach:
I think the problem is that the general tone is 'different from anything else in life' Wink
Except the harbor district..
Maybe a slightly more diplomatic attitude would help? Smile
It's not really surprising that it's the 'new or something' who 'complain' (being intimidated/upset about the aptosid jargon).

Most of the time, the community is extremely friendly and helpful.
Historically though, you guys do have a tendency to create drama. Wink

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.06.2011, 11:15

I think most people complain because you can't click to install, (ubuntu/windows) and what slam says "We share 100% Debian's policy. We do not (and cannot) ship non-free packages"

I am betting alot of newer (some older ones too) debian users don't even know what DFSG is or what its all about or just completely ignore it. Debian is proud of DFSG and so is Aptosid

Funny that people left aptosid to go to debian because of smxi, debian (DFSG) don't support it either, you can get support somewhat at the unofficial debian forums
, but, try in debian irc, you think this place is crazy when that subject comes up Wink

In the end, it's your box, do what you want with it, just don't ask for support here >>> is it really that hard

hell, install a ubuntu kernel if you want, just don't ask for help on doing it, undoing it, fixing what it broke yada-yada-yada

I have seen so many cry babies here because we don't use a gui for a package manager or that we do the things we do, we do because of support, support here is one of the best, thats because we don't encourage nor support 3rd party repos, we du outside of x, and this place gets blamed for hell. I personaly think it's funnier than hell and a joke. I use nvidia, I use mythtv, when and if they break, I look here, but, chances are it's covered at the mythtv/nvidia forums already, do i bitch at the team or the other mods because of it ....
no, i knew what i was installing and i knew it wasn't supported, so why should i bitch ..... hmm, this is kind of like rocket science ....

Last edited by piper on 24.06.2011, 11:17; edited 1 time in total

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.06.2011, 11:16

jacmoe wrote:
Maybe a slightly more diplomatic attitude would help?

RTFM

Is that better ;0

drbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.06.2011, 11:28

Respectfully Talk to Forum Members

I like it . . . . .

deachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.06.2011, 11:55

drb wrote:
Respectfully Talk to Forum Members

I like it . . . . .

While obviously that is the answer and, in fact a long time ago (or so it seems) I even started a thread at sidux about that.

Now then I always said I'd take a short smart ass "CORRECT" answer over someone coddling me and giving me bad advice.

I've learned long ago life has rules. Many Many of them I don't like and, sometimes don't even obey however, you suffer the consequences when you don't
If more time was spent working on technical issues and less whining then we'd get more done. I personally finally learned this. Some of the issues have been beaten into the ground way beyond "dead horse" syndrome.

Run the distro you want, tweak it the way you want. It's linux...Make it yours just make sure you have aptosid issues when you come here for help.

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.06.2011, 13:01

deach and +1 from piper:

I'm sorry but this kind of view sounds very "macho" and "world weary" but it's not how the real world works. Any group which allows no deviation from the rules will eventually stagnate and die. Even the natural world acts on this principle! (Presuming of course that you're not a creationist.)

If a distro is created and published along with a website and forums etc in which the users can communicate one with another then you have formed a community. It might be someone's pet "project" but once people are allowed to join in and become members like it or not you have formed a community and all that entails.

As with all non-totalitarian communities there will be those who will press the rules of the community to the limits and beyond. While those in power may not like it the presence of these "agitators" they are a necessity because some of their pressures will raise changes to the rules which will be beneficial to the community as a whole. Tt's this constant testing of the rules which, in part, keeps the group alive and flourishing. (Has nobody else noticed the fall in registered user numbers since the Sidux days?)

In this regards if members of the team who are testing the rules are vilified and/or banned from the tea then the team is, by definition, diminishing itself. They many be a "thorn in the side" but not only do they keep the team members aware of the true extent of their rules but they also keep them from being blinded to their own new possibilities and horizons.

This is absolutely my last word on this stupid subject which would not have arisen in the first place if people had tried to respect one another for sometimes having differing opinions.

oddballOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 12:49

I have as a some of you been here since the kanotix time and to go down to basic I'm still here because aptosid is the best os ever, at least for my purpose. Aptosid os is extremely fast to install, fast boot, very stable and a lot more. I use xfce version since kde4* arrived, I don't need all the fancy stuff from kde.

I see aptosid as a gift given from the dev-team and I take it and use it because I can and want to. As it is a gift I can't tell the team how they shall do their things, it's up to them. It's like take it or leave it, if it not fitting your ideas or fulfill your needs, don't use it, use something else.

The forum and the sometimes unlucky bad tone is one thing and the way the dist is made is another thing don't mix it.

So please everybody, don't make a mess so the dev-team get tired of doing what they do, I want aptosid to live because it's the best.

Jump to: