View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bluevoblerOffline
15 Post subject: (SOLVED) No internet connection after Mother Board swap.  PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 04:33

Just changed by Main Board,but decided to keep my existing Aptosid installation. I have done it before without any major hiccups. This time however I have not been able to get my internet connection back. I have tried "/etc/init.d/networking restart", but so far to no success. It is a Gigabyte Main Board with built in LAN - RTL8111C chip.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Last edited by bluevobler on 26.06.2011, 03:04; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: No internet connection after Mother Board swap.  PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 05:49

try as root
      Code:
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

if that don't work try installing/reinstalling the firmware
      Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-linux firmware-linux-free firmware-linux-nonfree
      Code:
fw-detect
      Code:
apt-get install firmware-realtek

2spoonsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 07:50

When I had a similar problem recently I found that the previously required module for the ethernet chip of the old board was still being loaded before the one required for the new m/board.
So, in /etc/modules I commented out the sis900 module that was being loaded, leaving the required atl1c module of the new board. That, as I recall, was all.

bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 09:12
Team Member

Removing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (or at least the line for the old eth0) will wipe the systems memory of the fact that the old network device was meant to be eth0.

Simply running ceni now before you remove that file will confirm that is the problem if it shows you that your ethernet device is now named eth1.

bluevoblerOffline
Post subject: No internet connection after Mother Board swap.  PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 21:30

Thanks a lot everybody.
I have followed pretty much most of the suggestions. I had some problems with Piper advice as it requires functioning internet. I have commented out and commented back one by one all the entries in the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, but so far no change. As for the 2spoons suggestion I have not been able the exact file that you mentioned. If you could be a bit more specific it would help immensely.
I hope I made it clear that this not a wireless card that I am trying to configure'
Once again thanks for all the help. Hopefully more advice will follow.
Richard

bluevoblerOffline
Post subject: RE: No internet connection after Mother Board swap.  PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 03:08

I finally had the guts to delete the whole "etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules" file and exactly as Bfree predicted after a reboot I am back on line.

Thanks again everyone who contributed to this valuable learning experience.

Richard

myloOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: No internet connection after Mother Board swap.  PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 14:39

piper wrote:
try as root
      Code:
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

For information:
After d-u today I had no internet.

The above cited wake-up procedure did help.

Linux 3.1-6.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64[2010-03 Ἀπάτη (201012262151)]
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ Cache/Ram 4MB/4GB nVidia G72 7300 nouveau 2*250GB

bluevoblerOffline
Post subject: No internet after Mother Board swap  PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 19:54

Hi Milo.
Thanks for the input.
I did tried the "ifdown and ifup" commands,but it did not work for me. The message was that eth0 was not configured.
The only thing that work for me was to delete the "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent.rules".

Thanks again.

Richard

Jump to: