View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
broweOffline
Post subject: CUPS & HP1020  PostPosted: 29.06.2011, 01:30

A few weeks ago my HP1020 stopped responding. It was previously working fine, so I waited for an updated cups. I just did a d-u today and am now at cups 1.4.6-11 with no response from the printer.

Code:

root@siduxbox64a:/home/browe# lsusb|grep H
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 03f0:2b17 Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 1020
root@siduxbox64a:/home/browe# apt-cache policy cups
cups:
  Installed: 1.4.6-11
root@siduxbox64a:/home/browe# apt-cache policy hannah-foo2zjs
hannah-foo2zjs:
  Installed: 1:1

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, restarted cups, restarted the printer, but no luck. Printing a test page from cups says the print went through, but no action from the printer... green light doesn't even blink. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: CUPS & HP1020  PostPosted: 29.06.2011, 03:18

Have you tried

Code:
chmod 755 -R /usr/lib/cups/backend
chmod 700 /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf

adduser username lp
adduser username lpadmin

Either restart cups or reboot

OppaErichOffline
Post subject: RE: CUPS & HP1020  PostPosted: 29.06.2011, 05:20

You're not alone browe. I'm printing very rarely but if I want to print, it does not work. A reinstall of the printer does the trick for me though. Print looks ugly, like I'm running out of toner. I'm back to using Win for printing.

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: CUPS & HP1020  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 01:41

Thanks for the tips piper, but no luck here. The HP1020 was never supported well and I had to use hannah-foo2zjs to get a driver that would work. I might try installing cups from testing or stable to see if they work without breaking anything else.

BTW, on my system /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf does not exist and the command for restarting cups is: /etc/init.d/cups restart
I did reboot also just to make sure any changes took, but still no difference.

piperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: CUPS & HP1020  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 02:58

browe wrote:
Thanks for the tips piper, but no luck here. The HP1020 was never supported well and I had to use hannah-foo2zjs to get a driver that would work. I might try installing cups from testing or stable to see if they work without breaking anything else.

BTW, on my system /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf does not exist and the command for restarting cups is: /etc/init.d/cups restart

I apologize for the /cups-pdf, I had this in with my notes, and I copied & pasted it without checking, a serious bad on my part

slamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: CUPS & HP1020  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 08:44
Team Member

browe wrote:

foo2zjs drivers are unfortunately often not in sync in Debian Sid with latest Cups. This situation is not likely to improve, unfortunately. Removing the Debian provided foo2zjs drivers, and installing the newest ones directly from the author's web site does help.

Note that you will have to do that after every Cups upgrade, and please be aware that it also may break dist-upgrades sometimes, as the driver overwrites Cups files). So, the best solution in long term is not buying a printer using the ZjStream protocol any more.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: