View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hyOffline
Post subject: issue with kde task manager  PostPosted: 29.06.2011, 22:17

After todays du kde redraws the application on key press of <ALT-TAB>.
it does not only display the task window. But on changing the task the application in question is redrawn in the background. It's time consuming and useless, it flickers and it is annoying.

Reply with quote Back to top
hunkirdowneOffline
Post subject: RE: issue with kde task manager  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 12:13

What graphics card and kernel module are you using?

There is probably a better way to get this information, but using 'lspci' I run the following in succession.

Code:
$ lspci | grep VGA

which tells me the address and make/model of the card
      Quote:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]

then I grap the address and throw it into the following (as root)
      Code:
$ su -c 'lspci -ks 01:05.0'|grep Kernel

and now I have my kernel module
      Quote:
Kernel driver in use: radeon

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: issue with kde task manager  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 12:16

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 03)

Kernel driver in use: i915

[Edit:]BTW, I don't think it's a driver issue. I'd rather guess that the (next/prev) app is getting the focus (or is getting activated) when <ALT> is pressed and so it is forced to redraw the screen.

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: issue with kde task manager  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 17:20

Another issue is my taskbar that keeps disappearing and appearing this is annoying too.
Does no one else have these problems?

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: issue with kde task manager  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 18:08
Team Member

After I disabled the desktop effects I'd been playing with I see that the windows get focus as you alt-tab, but I don't see any flicker (also i915 but gpu on a second generation core cpu).

I don't have any problems with the taskbar dissappearing ... I presume yours is not just set to autohide Wink

I don't think this is really an "upgrade warning" btw so I suspect this thread will be moved soon to the Software section.

hyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: issue with kde task manager  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 18:40

bfree wrote:
After I disabled the desktop effects I'd been playing with I see that the windows get focus as you alt-tab, but I don't see any flicker (also i915 but gpu on a second generation core cpu).

Well, I think the perception of 'flicker' or not depends what colors your windows are using.
With windows that are mostly black text on white background the matter is not as bad ...

bfree wrote:

I don't have any problems with the taskbar dissappearing ... I presume yours is not just set to autohide ;-)

It is intentionally set to autohide. But it always comes up (and covers part of what I want to see...)

bfree wrote:

I don't think this is really an "upgrade warning" btw so I suspect this thread will be moved soon to the Software section.

Well, slam asked me in the chat yesterday I should post the issue and I didn't know where else to post it ...

Jump to: