View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
domiciusOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Iceweasel 5 any time soon?  PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 12:08

merlyn wrote:
I have the addon bar selected as viewable, since 5, no longer has a status bar.

However, the download bar, is displayed independently and just above the addon bar.

Which means that a small portion of screen real estate is lost during the course of a download.

Why Mozilla, didn't just keep to the old status bar method, with a 'hideable' option is odd.

Not sure if I understand your problem completely, but have you tried Status-4-Evar?

Status bar has gone with 4.0 and got replaced with Add-on bar but this extension allows you to bring back things like status text, progress meter and download status now to the Add-on bar. Wink

But since I can now put really anything on Add-on bar, it's odd to me how you can't put that download bar as well. Maybe Download Statusbar was designed that way?

Reply with quote Back to top
DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Iceweasel 5 any time soon?  PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 14:55

domicius wrote:
      merlyn wrote:
I have the addon bar selected as viewable, since 5, no longer has a status bar.

However, the download bar, is displayed independently and just above the addon bar.

Which means that a small portion of screen real estate is lost during the course of a download.

Why Mozilla, didn't just keep to the old status bar method, with a 'hideable' option is odd.

Not sure if I understand your problem completely, but have you tried Status-4-Evar?

Status bar has gone with 4.0 and got replaced with Add-on bar but this extension allows you to bring back things like status text, progress meter and download status now to the Add-on bar. Wink

But since I can now put really anything on Add-on bar, it's odd to me how you can't put that download bar as well. Maybe Download Statusbar was designed that way?

I think S4E provides the download widget for the addon bar and that the Download Statusbar extension is not needed as its sort of redundant

merlynOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Iceweasel 5 any time soon?  PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 15:39

domicius wrote:

G'day there,

I don't have a problem, actually, with the way download status bar works.

All my post intended to do was respond to Donkult and let him know that Download Statusbar was working for me in 5.O, and which options I'd chosen, as it might work for him.

Thanks for mentioning Status-4-Evar, I've had a quick look at it and will be sure to try it out, once I've set up 6.0 the way I'd like it to be.

What does perplex me however is why did Mozilla, dump the status bar in favour of the addon bar, if for no other reason that to save a little screen real estate?

Seems somewhat pointless, as I wouldn't mind betting that plenty of folks, myself included would select to display the addon bar. and those who wanted more screen space always had the option to hide the old status bar.

DeepDayze wrote:
I think S4E provides the download widget for the addon bar and that the Download Statusbar extension is not needed as its sort of redundant

I checked out the link that domicius, provided and you are correct, I'll be sure to give it a go instead of Download StatusBar.

It also has a feature where you can display, page loading progress in the Address bar, much like Safari does. I quite like that especially since the Fission addon is no longer being developed.

piper wrote:
Ay Mate,

It seems faster than 5 to me, scrolling needs some tuning up, thats seems slower than 5.

Out of the add-ons from my above post, IW complains that

Forecastfox Weather 2.0.2
Nightly Tester Tools 3.1.7
MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4.9000

are incompatible, however, Forecastfox Weather 2.0.2 works fine.

I am going to test for one more day before I decide to revert back to 5 or not

My ISP's mirror completed syncing some time ago, so I was able to d-u again and get 6.0.

It's definitely faster, than 5.0, I use Futuremark's Peacemaker Browser Benchmark just for a comparative score.

In fact it gained just over 400 points, relative to 5.0 on my system. Still not as fast as Chromium. But given that the latest version of Chromium only gained 200 points over its predecessor, Iceweasel/Firefox's gain is quite impressive.

With regard to the scrolling problem, you might want to have a look at, the following addon.

Yet Another Smooth Scrolling

It'll install and run on 6.0 with "Addon Compatibility" disabled.

Cheers all.

Last edited by merlyn on 26.06.2011, 02:32; edited 1 time in total

hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Iceweasel 5 any time soon?  PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 17:18

If you miss your localisation in Iceweasel 5 from mozilla.debian.net just get your *.xpi from the Mozilla fileserver and install it. For example de.xpi for German.

hubi

piperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Iceweasel 5 any time soon?  PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 19:42

DonKult wrote:
      piper wrote:
Out of the add-ons from my above post, IW complains that

Download Statusbar ( 0.9.8 ) doesn't really work (for me) even if it claims to support 6 and i heard it doesn't with 5, too.

(It doesn't show the downloadbar, but "the rest" seems to work)

This works fine for me in both 5 & 6 (works also in windows using 7 nightly). Download bar shows here in the bottom lower left corner and I use mini-mode. I can switch to full mode and back to mini-mode with no problems at all.

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Iceweasel 5 any time soon?  PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 19:43

merlyn

Thank ya for that link Wink

merlynOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iceweasel 5 any time soon?  PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 02:35

piper wrote:
merlyn

Thank ya for that link Wink

No worries, though I ought to have proof read more carefully. Embarassed

I placed the close URL tag in the wrong position. Rolling Eyes /facepalm

CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject: RE: Iceweasel 5 any time soon?  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 12:37

I came across an official Mozilla add-on for those of you living on or near the bleeding edge with Firefox (Iceweasel), perhaps it's new & useful to some: Add-on Compatibility Reporter

Quote:
After installing the Add-on Compatibility Reporter, your incompatible extensions will become enabled for you to test whether they still work with the version of Firefox or Thunderbird that you're using. If you notice that one of your add-ons doesn't seem to be working the same way it did in previous versions of the application, just open the Add-ons Manager and click Compatibility next to that add-on to send a report to Mozilla.

Even if your add-ons all work fine, if they're marked incompatible, please let us know that they work fine by submitting a success report so we can encourage the add-on developer to update their compatibility information.
read more about it in the link.

seasonsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iceweasel 5 any time soon?  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 12:39

Iceweasel 5.x is now in the experimental repo.

Jump to: