View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
usgsOffline
Post subject: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 14:59

I tried today to do a d-u. I always first run
      Code:
 apt-get update
      Code:
 apt-get dist-upgrade -s
to see what will be done. Here's what I get today:

Code:

# apt-get dist-upgrade -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 e2fsprogs : PreDepends: e2fslibs (= 1.41.12-4) but 1.41.12-4stable1 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
root@aptosidbox:/home/usgs# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  e2fsprogs
Suggested packages:
  gpart e2fsck-static
The following packages will be upgraded:
  e2fsprogs
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 294 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/804 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
(Reading database ... 121845 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace e2fsprogs 1.41.12-4 (using .../e2fsprogs_1.41.12-4stable1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement e2fsprogs ...
Replaced by files in installed package util-linux ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/e2fsprogs_1.41.12-4stable1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 unable to create `/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/e2fsprogs.mo.dpkg-new' (while processing `./usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/e2fsprogs.mo'): No such file or directory
configured to not write apport reports
                                      dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/e2fsprogs_1.41.12-4stable1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

How do I correct this so that e2fsprogs_1.41.12-4stable1_i386.deb is installed?

[For my 32 bit system, here's my kernel info:
Linux version 2.6.35-7.slh.1-aptosid-686 (Debian 2.6.35-38) (s.l-h@gmx.de) (gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.4-17) ) ]

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
etorixOffline
Post subject: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 16:03
Team Member

several things here

whats the output of 'apt-get -f install' ?

and yer kernel is so old .. why?

current kernel is 2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid

usgsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 16:32

etorix wrote:
several things here

whats the output of 'apt-get -f install' ?

and yer kernel is so old .. why?

current kernel is 2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid

First, in the order in which I did things today, the output for 'apt-get update' :

Code:

# apt-get update

[numerous lines deleted here for this posting]

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/PackagesIndex  MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/contrib/binary-i386/PackagesIndex  MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/non-free/binary-i386/PackagesIndex  MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/PackagesIndex  MD5Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

When I then tried to install the latest kernel 2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686, I get this output:

Code:

# apt-get install 2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686
Building dependency tree       
Note, selecting 'linux-image-2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686' for regex '2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686'
Note, selecting 'linux-modules-2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686' for regex '2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686'
Note, selecting 'linux-headers-2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686' for regex '2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686'
Note, selecting 'linux-image-2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686' instead of 'linux-modules-2.6.39-2.slh.2-aptosid-686'
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 e2fsprogs : PreDepends: e2fslibs (= 1.41.12-4) but 1.41.12-4stable1 is to be installed
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/deb/ stable/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.google.com_linux_talkplugin_deb_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

And finally the output of 'apt-get -f install' :

Code:

# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  e2fsprogs
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  e2fsprogs
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
After this operation, 2,081 kB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?] n
Abort.

What's best to do now?

Thanks

arwaOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 18:43

I would try to make "apt-get update" to run without any errors. Maybe you are missing some important packages because the updated package list could not be downloaded?

Do you have enough disk space left?

arwaOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 18:44

btw.: for apt-get update: Perhaps you can choose another mirror?

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 18:59

apt-get clean

apt-get update

you might have to hit UP ARROW about 10 or more times till it finally updates, I see this problem alot

Edit: -r tab -i UP ARROW

Last edited by piper on 02.07.2011, 17:35; edited 1 time in total

usgsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 02.07.2011, 17:33

Thanks for your help, tips and advice fellow Aptosid users! At the moment, I'm using my MEPIS 11 computer so I can't check on the things you suggest. I do have to check how much disk space remains but I did switch to another mirror the other day. I picked the MIT mirror (in the US) but the same problem about e2fsprogs was reported to me by apt-get dist-upgrade. A short while ago I found in the MEPIS forum, a discussion of the very same problem I'm having with e2fsprogs. I'll have to try the tips offered in the MEPIS forum.

In this MEPIS forum, on this same problem, there was mention of an e2fsprogs bug report but sadly no solution yet. The bug report ("Bug#631808: Package fails to upgrade; unable to create `/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/e2fsprogs.mo.dpkg-new' ") is here: http://bit.ly/jeaX2X And the MEPIS discussion on this very same problem is here: http://bit.ly/lguszg

[Incidentally, my Aptosid system is a 32 bit one but the MEPIS discussion concerns a 64 bit system. It's clear that this problem happens in both bit systems.]

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 02.07.2011, 18:56

Upon reading the bug report, do you have localepurge installed and configured? If so, remove it as it apparently causes issues with packages that have localizations included.

usgsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 03.07.2011, 03:52

DeepDayze wrote:
Upon reading the bug report, do you have localepurge installed and configured? If so, remove it as it apparently causes issues with packages that have localizations included.

I don't have any package named localepurge installed.

In reading the MEPIS forum discussion (see http://bit.ly/lguszg ) of this very same problem, I decided, according to advice in the MEPIS forum, to create:

/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/

Then, in konsole, ran apt-get update, and tried to do

Code:

apt-get dist-upgrade -s

But the same problem occurred, the one about e2fsprogs:

Code:

# apt-get dist-upgrade -s
Building dependency tree       
 e2fsprogs : PreDepends: e2fslibs (= 1.41.12-4) but 1.41.12-4stable1 is installed

When I run

Code:

apt-get -f install

I get the warning that

Code:

# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
  e2fsprogs
  e2fsprogs
 ?] n
Abort.

In the MEPIS discussion of this (see http://bit.ly/lguszg ), a very experienced MEPIS user wonders what will happen "if you downloaded both the problem deb packages and installed them with "dpkg -i" as root?

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/e2fsprogs
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/e2fslibs

dpkg also has some force-install options that will install the packages despite errors, though that can be dangerous."

Do you think I should try the above or is it too dangerous?

muchan
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 03.07.2011, 10:51

Too find the solution, you need to know the cause of problem.
Without knowing the solution, blindly trying various "solutions" are dangerous.

About the "cause", now e2fsprogs and e2fslibs both have version 1.41.12-4stable1 on sid.
So you need to find out why the dependencies to 1.41.12-4 holds on your system.

arwaOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 03.07.2011, 12:15

You could try
      Code:
apt-get -duV -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade

or
      Code:
apt-get -duV -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes install e2fsprogs e2fslibs

to check out which dependencies are the problem. The "-d" switch tells apt-get to just download the packages, so nothing will be changed, even if you press "y".

usgsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: e2fsprogs  PostPosted: 03.07.2011, 19:29

arwa wrote:
You could try
      Code:
apt-get -duV -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade

or
      Code:
apt-get -duV -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes install e2fsprogs e2fslibs

to check out which dependencies are the problem. The "-d" switch tells apt-get to just download the packages, so nothing will be changed, even if you press "y".

Thanks arwa for your help.

I did what you wrote above and I get the same problems:

Code:

# apt-get -duV -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes install e2fsprogs e2fslibs
Building dependency tree       
e2fslibs is already the newest version.
e2fsprogs is already the newest version.
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 e2fsprogs : PreDepends: e2fslibs (= 1.41.12-4) but 1.41.12-4stable1 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

and

Code:

root@aptosidbox:/home/usgs# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
  e2fsprogs
  e2fsprogs                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
 ?] n                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Abort.

and

Code:

root@aptosidbox:/home/usgs# apt-get -duV -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade                                                                                                                                           
Building dependency tree                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Other bad news: Yesterday I did what MEPIS expert kmathern said to do in the MEPIS forum discussion of this very same problem--> http://bit.ly/lguszg I ran as root:

Code:

mkdir -p /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES

and now Firestarter doesn't even start! I suppose I can just delete /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES which I created yesterday and then see if Firestarter works again. [I haven't done that yet though.]

Today I ran

Code:

# apt-get remove firestarter

and then

Code:

# apt-get purge firestarter

and neither would remove firestarter. So I can't download and re-install firestarter for some odd reason.

Two days ago I downloaded the latest version of Aptosid (32 bit). Since it might be difficult to figure out what exactly is wrong in my current system, I wonder if I just should save what I want in my current system, clean my HDD, set up partitions and install the latest Aptosid.

Edit: I rebooted my computer and firestarter now starts and runs. This same querky behavior of firestarter not running would happen rarely in the past. Never figured out why but I was happy to discover that reboots usually fixed the "problem" with firestarter.

Last edited by usgs on 03.07.2011, 19:54; edited 2 times in total

NnitisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.07.2011, 19:30

I had the same problem on a 64-bit system, but the update went through without error on a VM 64-bit system. The original error message referred to a different locale folder than the one starting this string -- /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/e2fsprogs.mo.dpkg-new rather than /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/e2fsprogs.mo.dpkg-new -- which, of course, was missing. I found that if I copied the missing folder from the VM machine into the /usr/share/locale folder on the machine where it was missing (as root) and then issued "apt-get -f install", I received a new error message, this time referring to another missing folder. Copying each folder referred to in an error message from the VM machine and working my way through successive error messages in this way, I was eventually able to complete the d-u with an "apt-get -f install" command.

On the problem machine, the missing folders looked like a list of default locales; the list included ca, cs, de, fr, id, it, nl, pl, sv, tr, vi, zh, and zh_CN. There's probably a more elegant solution to this problem. I don't know enough to figure that out.

So far as I can recall, I never had localepurge installed on the machine with the problem. The only relevant difference between the machines that I can now remember is that I ran dpkg-reconfigure on the problem machine, removing all locales except en_US, but not the VM machine.

arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 03.07.2011, 21:07

If you want to do a reinstall anyway, you could try what happens if you purge e2fsprogs and then try to reinstall it. If this does not work and your system is broken, you still can do a fresh installation.

Oh, btw. what does "apt-cache policy e2fsprogs e2fslibs" tell you?

usgsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 04.07.2011, 01:11

arwa wrote:
.......... Oh, btw. what does "apt-cache policy e2fsprogs e2fslibs" tell you?

After changing my debian mirror from the one at MIT (in the US) to the one at uchicago.edu (in the US) and running apt-get update, here arwa is the output:

Code:

# apt-cache policy e2fsprogs e2fslibs
e2fslibs:
  Installed: 1.41.12-4stable1
  Candidate: 1.42~WIP-2011-07-02-1
  Version table:
     1.42~WIP-2011-07-02-1 0
        500 http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
 *** 1.41.12-4stable1 0
        500 http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
e2fsprogs: