View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ibgbOffline
15 Post subject: SOLVED- 2.6.38 pushes display boundaries beyond HTPC screen  PostPosted: 21.03.2011, 17:42

Hi all

With the 2.6.37 kernel, the desktop on my aptosid HTPC box fit my TV screen perfectly. With the 2.6.38 kernel, I find that the desktop edges and maximized windows extend beyond the edges of my TV screen. That is, the mouse disappears off the visible screen when put to an edge, the outside edge of panel icons appear cut off if the panel is positioned on a screen edge, and the close window button is off visible screen on a maximized window. This behavior was the same with both slh and Debian kernels. I'm using the radeon driver

Internet searches have been no help

If this were happening on my PC monitor, I'd just push it's auto-adjust button and it would fix it. But my TV has no such button nor any other facility to change the display boundaries.

Any ideas as to how I might readjust through aptosid are appreciated.

Code:
Host/Kernel/OS  "htpc1" running Linux 2.6.37-2.slh.3-aptosid-686 i686 [ aptosid 2011-01 Γῆρας - xfce - (201102052006) ]
CPU Info        4x AMD Athlon II X4 630 512 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 800.000 MHz ]
Videocard       ATI RS880 [Radeon HD 4200]  X.Org 1.9.4.901  [ 1280x720@60.0hz ]
Network cards   Atheros AR8131 Gigabit
Processes 125 | Uptime 1min | Memory 80.7/3295.5MB | HDD Hitachi HDS72101 Size 1000GB (0%used) | GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 | GLX Version Yes | Client Shell | Infobash v3.35

Last edited by ibgb on 29.03.2011, 08:32; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
ibgbOffline
Post subject: RE: 2.6.38 pushes display boundaries beyond HTPC screen  PostPosted: 22.03.2011, 21:08

Wow, the crickets are deafening! Very Happy

I kind of thought I might be on my own with this. Not many folks going over HDMI to a TV with no screen size adjustments.

I'll post back here if I come up with something.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: 2.6.38 pushes display boundaries beyond HTPC screen  PostPosted: 23.03.2011, 07:28
Team Member

For the radeon driver properly to work you need to install firmware-linux-nonfree. Once firmware-linux-nonfree is installed, kernel parameters like "radeon.modeset=0" or "vga=791" should not be used anymore, as they might interfere with KMS operations, which are needed for radeon to work properly.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
ibgbOffline
Post subject: RE: 2.6.38 pushes display boundaries beyond HTPC screen  PostPosted: 23.03.2011, 17:25

Hi Chris, thanks for the input.

This box is about a month old Γῆρας install. I've had firmware-linux-nonfree installed since the beginning. I've never touched /etc/default/grub or used any cheat codes at boot time, and the display using 2.6.37 kernels fits my screen nicely. Yet I have the current situation.

An uneducated guess from me would be that perhaps in massaging the ATI drivers to enable usage by more cards that was done in 2.6.38, something changed a bit that affected my fringe case.

But again, that's just my guess (and I'm someone who doesn't have a clue about what's really going on here), and I'm probably looking for the easiest thing to blame.

ibgbOffline
Post subject: RE: 2.6.38 pushes display boundaries beyond HTPC screen  PostPosted: 29.03.2011, 08:32

OK, here's what happened

I decided to put in a discrete graphics card, which is an nvidia, to take the easy way out and see if I could fix the problem.

I booted the 2.6.38 kernel and purged libdrm-radeon1 and xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

Then I got called away and was busy for awhile.

I decided that I didn't have time, so I'd install the card later.

I reinstalled libdrm-radeon1 and xserver-xorg-video-radeon while still on the 2.6.38 kernel and rebooted.

I meant to boot the 2.6.37 kernel so that my display would be correct, but I was distracted and the grub timeout was too quick for me and I accidentally booted the 2.6.38 kernel.

Much to my shock and dismay, the display fit my screen perfectly.

I then installed the latest slh 2.6.38 kernel and rebooted.

Lo and behold, the display remained perfect.

So it would appear that the purge and reinstall of libdrm-radeon1 and xserver-xorg-video-radeon fixed my problem.

Go figure

(now I just have to figure out what to do with this thing I bought Smile )

Jump to: