View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dpeirceOffline
Post subject: [solved-sorta] Installation of aptosid in Virtualbox aborts  PostPosted: 28.03.2011, 02:40

I'm trying to install Aptosid 211-01 in Virtualbox 3.2.12 OSE (host = PCLinuxOS 2010.1, updated). I have downloaded the aptosid iso file 4 times now from two different mirrors to two different machines and it acts the same each time: The installation proceeds for @15 seconds until suddenly the install window winks out and VB reports that the install has aborted. During the time period that I've been trying to install aptosid, I've successfully installed two other distros.

Help?

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Last edited by dpeirce on 13.04.2011, 21:34; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation of aptosid in Virtualbox aborts  PostPosted: 28.03.2011, 06:24
Team Member

Please make sure that your download & burn is error free by checking md5sum - details in our manuals.
By the way, the latest version of Virtualbox-OSE is 4.0.4.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation of aptosid in Virtualbox aborts  PostPosted: 28.03.2011, 13:16

did you try installing from an ISO image rather than trying to use a physical DVD? As slam suggested should check the md5sum to make sure the downloaded IS's complete with no errors.

dpeirceOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation of aptosid in Virtualbox aborts  PostPosted: 13.04.2011, 21:32

Sorry about taking so long to respond: I've been working off and on on installing Aptosid, trying various things, and have been out of town some.

The md5sum was good each time. I re-downloaded it several more times with good md5sums but it aborted. VB 4.0 wasn't working either. And, yes, I was mostly trying to install from the iso, but it did the same from a DVD.

Now I've installed Virtualbox 4.0.4. Rather than downloading the full KDE Aptosid again, I instead downloaded the KDE-Lite version of Aptosid, and it has installed in VB and is working fine. I apologize that I never did know exactly what the problem was as I tried a lot of things without keeping careful note of what I did when. I can't remember whether I had already installed VB 4.0.4 before I downloaded KDE-Lite. I THINK it was the KDE-Lite which made the difference.

However, it's working well now. Thanks.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
dave@christos.cjb.net, dpeirce@christian.net

When your computer crashes, it's usually an ID Ten T problem (write it out).

Jump to: