View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
darioOffline
Post subject: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 15:24

I have noticed that the runlevels used in aptosid are different from Debian's default runlevels, for example the runlevel 3, used for dist-upgrade in aptosid. If i have to upgrade the system (ex. from stable to testing or sid), what runlevel in Debian corresponds to aptosid's 3?

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 15:41
Team Member

None. Debian leaves it up to the adminstrator (you) to configure it to your liking. 1 is a special level. 2 and above are all equal if i am not mistaken.

Beside that, if you want a supportable system, please don't upgrade a stable system to unstable. Use one of your official images instead to start fresh.

muchan
Post subject: RE: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 15:45

aptosid manual: aptosid runlevels - init
http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin-gen-en.htm#init

darioOffline
Post subject: RE: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 16:13

@DonKult you mean to start from a "testing" weekly build instead of stable?

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 16:46
Team Member

dario wrote:
@DonKult you mean to start from a "testing" weekly build instead of stable?

I mean that it hard to setup a aptosid system on top of an upgraded debian installation. Its better to install aptosid from one of your images. The runlevel differences are just one thing you had to change to get an 'aptosid' system.

darioOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 18:43

Ok, certainly, but i have no intention to setup aptosid from debian, i haven't got the necessary knowledge, i was only trying to understand how to move to dist-upgrade to sid or testing in the best way a plain debian system. At the moment i can't use aptosid on my laptop because of some problems with wireless card, so i'm going to install debian to have the machine working as soon as possible.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 20:30
Team Member

Huh? Which problem with the wireless card? aptosid uses a newer kernel than stable, but unstable follows relatively closely (and testing with a few days delayed) so you are not "save" for long. Beside that you can install a debian kernel in aptosid easily. And if the problem is firmware related: Its the same for both kernels… but yeah, without details about the card…

darioOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 21:00

There's a post about this in "software" section

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 21:42
Team Member

(for reference: http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... amp;t=1082 )

ah, okay, missed that. If slh couldn't give a hint i am out of business. The only thing were i had similar issues was a router with a too high channel number (see releasenotes, some countries forbid some channels) / to many people on the same number, but yeah, you properly checked that already.

Sorry for the noice.

darioOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Runlevels in Debian and aptosid  PostPosted: 05.04.2011, 22:05

No, problem, thank you for taking care!

Jump to: