View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ConvBSDOffline
Post subject: Install VmWare player in aptosid ?  PostPosted: 16.09.2010, 17:52

Hi ,

The question is howto install vmware player in aptosid.
I am interested about all steps of installing.

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.09.2010, 18:51

Download the correct architecture from here. You'll have to give a name and some "purpose" and "category" information -- I always say it's for home use and my category is "big fan".

The download is a "xxx.bundle" script installer. Run it from /tmp or wherever you do your installations, but make sure to keep a copy of the .bundle file, in case you need to reinstall. If you get an error regarding building the kernel module for the 2.6.35 kernel, there's a patch and instructions at Step 9 here.

Once it is installed, you'll need your guest OS installation CD or ISO file. VMware Player can use either one. Just run it from within the Player -- choose your virtual hard disk size* when asked, choose "YES" when it asks about installing the VMware Tools, and it should go on with no issues.

* Make sure you are installing the VM on a partition that has enough space -- don't try setting up a 40GB VM on a partition that only has 20GB of free space! Wink

bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.09.2010, 19:27
Team Member

Ok it's bad enough needing to pickup kernel patches from a wiki, but coupled with running a "bundle" to install a non-free app and therefore bypassing apt this is "Dragons" material so moving it.

Oh and btw you will only prise kvm from my cold dead hands though I know you need a nice virtualisation capable machine for it.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.09.2010, 20:05

bfree wrote:
Ok it's bad enough needing to pickup kernel patches from a wiki, but coupled with running a "bundle" to install a non-free app and therefore bypassing apt this is "Dragons" material so moving it.

Heh -- yep, fair enough! I should have also said "... and the aptosid team will not have any sympathy for whatever goes wrong with your system." Smile

However, I have run VMware Player on my sid system for 3 years and there was never any breakage or problems from that direction.

sunratOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 22.09.2010, 02:30

VirtualBox is a capable alternative and easy to use. It's open source version is in the main Debian repo as virtualbox-ose. If you need more functionality (USB support particularly) there is a closed source version which is available from an apt repo at virtualbox.org.

Jump to: