View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
braveheartleoOffline
Post subject: Gigolo / gvfs-mount doesn't mount smb shares on Xfce  PostPosted: 16.04.2011, 01:27

Using Gigolo 0.4.1, it cannot mount URIs of the form smb://<server>/<share>, and fails with the message "Connecting to smb://<server>/<share> failed. Location is not mountable."

Another odd thing about the setup of Gigolo on my system is that when you create bookmarks, you can supposedly choose which Service Type to create (i.e. Windows Share, FTP, etc.). However, with my setup I can only select Custom Location and nothing else, despite that Gigolo supports other services like SFTP, HTTP, etc.

Gigolo wasn't included in the aptosid Xfce iso, so I had to install it manually, along with gvfs-fuse and gvfs-bin then restart. I'm also a member of the fuse group.

gvfs-mount smb://<server>/<share> also fails with the message "Error mounting location: location is not mountable." I have read from other xfce distro forums where Gigolo allows for the selection of other service types in its interface.

So it seems that there must be something wrong with my install, and I don't know where to start. Mounting with "mount -t smbfs" works fine, but I'd like to take advantage of Gigolo / gvfs functions.

Reply with quote Back to top
braveheartleoOffline
Post subject: RE: Gigolo / gvfs-mount doesn  PostPosted: 16.04.2011, 01:37

And another thing, does mounting smb shares really need an smb server? My setup doesn't really have a server for sharing files on the network. It's more like shares are reachable by connecting directly to the Windows machine configured to share certain files and folders.

There isn't even a Windows list server for querying clients of available computers in the network. Name resolution relies upon a locally-configured DNS server on the router, not NetBIOS.

muchan
Post subject: RE: Gigolo / gvfs-mount doesn  PostPosted: 16.04.2011, 08:35

1) "Gigolo wasn't included in the aptosid Xfce iso, so I had to install it manually"
package "xfce4-goodies" installs gigolo among other utilities goes along with xfce4.
{ edit: no, gigolo is only Suggested, so not installed automatically.)

2) "does mounting smb shares really need an smb server?"
I don't think so. You need smbclient

3) your problem itself...
- I don't have clear answer. but first you may start gigolo from console, and maybe it has
verbose option -v, to tell you what's going on behind.

- There is package gigolo-dbg. Probably it's usefull to diagnose problem. (but I havn't used gigolo)

- There is a package gvfs-backends, I think this is what you are missing...
package gvfs Suggests gvfs-backends, but not Depends so not install automatically.
well...
probably this is the solution. # apt-get install gvfs-backends

Jump to: