View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ilinsekt
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 18:33

Just installed it, a few minor problems with the plasma theme I use, but installation went flawlessly. Just one thing though: Nepomuk doesn't seem to be working. The filter panel in Dolphin is completely greyed out, when I go to systemsettings->desktopsearch it says "The Nepomuk installation is not complete. No Nepomuk settings can be provided". The service section shows the nepomuk service is running, an apt-cache search for nepomuk and a reinstallation of libnepomuk4, libnepomukquery4a and libnepomukutils4 yielded no results, neither did a reboot.

Reply with quote Back to top
DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 19:12

Ilinsekt wrote:
Just installed it, a few minor problems with the plasma theme I use, but installation went flawlessly. Just one thing though: Nepomuk doesn't seem to be working. The filter panel in Dolphin is completely greyed out, when I go to systemsettings->desktopsearch it says "The Nepomuk installation is not complete. No Nepomuk settings can be provided". The service section shows the nepomuk service is running, an apt-cache search for nepomuk and a reinstallation of libnepomuk4, libnepomukquery4a and libnepomukutils4 yielded no results, neither did a reboot.

To get nepomuk working you'll need to install the virtuoso-minimal package. I had that same problem and a google search and digging thru the nepomuk code turned that up

Ilinsekt
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 19:25

Thanks, that worked.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 19:39

Ilinsekt wrote:
Thanks, that worked.

virtuoso-minimal should be a dependency...otherwise people couldn't get desktop search working

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 19:47
Team Member

Desktop search is not a basic need for everyone, but an option. Therefore it is not a dependency, but "just" recommended. In Aptosid, recommended packages are not installed by default, instead we leave the decision to the user.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 19:54

slam wrote:
Desktop search is not a basic need for everyone, but an option. Therefore it is not a dependency, but "just" recommended. In Aptosid, recommended packages are not installed by default, instead we leave the decision to the user.
Greetings,
Chris

makes sense slam...maybe to be more accurate, an optional dependency

devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 20:25

it does not make sense. nepomuk/strigi can be disabled in a second. on the other hand it takes users way much longer to find, what is missing.

greetz
devil

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 20:56
Team Member

devil wrote:
it does not make sense. nepomuk/strigi can be disabled in a second. on the other hand it takes users way much longer to find, what is missing.

greetz
devil
Well, the Aptosid approach is to ship the essentials, and leave other decisions to the users. Other distributions might have different policies.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 21:33

essentials with kde-full?
if the approach is, to make such things unnesseccarily hard for the user, i consider it wrong.
why should user search for this for a span of his lifetime, if it can be included (and deactivated by default)

greetz
devil

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 23:10

Whether desktop search is installed, or not, in the shipped aptosid distribution, it would only take one or two sentences in the manual to instruct users how to implement the opposite configuration. I would be happy to write the English instruction -- it's not a complicated instruction.

se7enOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.04.2011, 00:30

I do agree with devil. It takes a while till you understand why you can enable desktop search but it is not working.
I might be wrong but I can not remember that there was a warning what package was missing. All I remember is that it is more trouble to activate than in most other distribution.
It would only take a package which would be no trouble on the full.iso or like dibl said some INFORMATION somewhere. Smile

domiciusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.04.2011, 01:46

I actually have the Filter pane greyed out as well, but Nepomuk seems to be working fine here (enabled with status "Nepomuk system is active"). And virtuoso-minimal is already installed. Am I missing something? (is it relevant that I don't have Strigi enabled?)

BTW, if it were up to me, I'd put virtuoso-minimal as dependency.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.04.2011, 02:02

domicius wrote:
I actually have the Filter pane greyed out as well, but Nepomuk seems to be working fine here (enabled with status "Nepomuk system is active"). And virtuoso-minimal is already installed. Am I missing something? (is it relevant that I don't have Strigi enabled?)

BTW, if it were up to me, I'd put virtuoso-minimal as dependency.

I believe you need to enable "Semantic Desktop" in Systemsettings Under Desktop Search in Workspace Appearance and Settings in order to activate the filter settings

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.04.2011, 05:19
Team Member

dibl wrote:
Whether desktop search is installed, or not, in the shipped aptosid distribution, it would only take one or two sentences in the manual to instruct users how to implement the opposite configuration. I would be happy to write the English instruction -- it's not a complicated instruction.
Thanks! Please start in our Wiki, or directly get into contact with our docu team in the #aptosid-docs IRC channel.
Greetings,
Chris

Ilinsekt
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.04.2011, 06:28

@domicius: You have to let strigi index a few directories to get this enabled.

Jump to: