View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tyesboOffline
Post subject: Can't install mysql-server  PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 12:10

Hey everyone,

I can't install mysql-server, dependency problem.

Code:
apt-get install mysql-server
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mysql-server : Depends: mysql-server-5.1 but it is not going to be installed

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libdbd-mysql-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.10.1 which is a virtual package.

I feel this is related to perl being broken in sid at the moment, any other way to get mysql-server installed? I don't need to use mysql in perl at the moment, can I safely force this install?

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Can  PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 12:35
Team Member

You can't force APT to ignore dependencies (by design). You might not need perl to work with mysql - but are you sure that mysql doesn't need perl to work for you?

You can try to get mysql-server from testing. Might work with a bit of forcing like: apt-get install mysql-server-5.1/testing

You properly need to add more packages to that line through…

tyesboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 13:14

Ok I got it working. Thank you DonKult for the help.

Here is what I used for info:

Code:
apt-get install perl/testing libaudio-scrobbler-perl/testing libcurses-perl/testing libcurses-ui-perl libexpect-perl/testing libhtml-parser-perl/testing libhtml-tree-perl/testing libio-pty-perl/testing liblocale-gettext-perl/testing libterm-readkey-perl/testing libtext-charwidth-perl/testing libtext-iconv-perl/testing libtext-wrapi18n-perl/testing libwww-perl/testing libxml-parser-perl/testing irssi/testing xchat/testing mysql-server-5.1/testing mysql-client-5.1/testing libdbi-perl/testing mysql-server-core-5.1/testing

Wasn't there a simpler way though? Can't we tell apt-get to downgrade everything that needs to be downgraded to testing for installing mysql-server-5.1?

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 13:40
Team Member

tyesbo wrote:
Wasn't there a simpler way though? Can't we tell apt-get to downgrade everything that needs to be downgraded to testing for installing mysql-server-5.1?

If you are installing from a release below unstable like experimental usually '-t experimental' works, but especially if you have to downgrade to a release above unstable like testing you have to force it in that way usually. Depends a bit on the situation through.

See also the manual Arrow http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin- ... -downgrade

slhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 13:45

There's a very simple solution to this, showing a little patience to get the perl transition finish - then installing mysql will just work.

But it's the nature of Debian sid/unstable to be the staging area for (sometimes large scale) transitions. With only little care about what apt tells you, you can avoid losing packages on dist-upgrades (and not doing the dist-upgrade in the middle of 'painful' transitions), but not everything is installable from scratch at all time.

tyesboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.05.2011, 14:11

Yes patience would have worked too, unfortunately I had to get work done today and have no idea when this will be fixed. Plus I learned something new and I'm always looking forward to that. (Even if it involves losing some hair).
Thanks guys.

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.05.2011, 07:43

slh wrote:

There's a very simple solution to this, showing a little patience to get the perl transition finish - then installing mysql will just work

patience is a must in sid

within the last 8 hours here

Code:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  aptosid-irc bum hpijs hplip-cups irssi libcairo-perl libdbd-mysql-perl libgtk2-perl libhpmud0 libpango-perl libperl5.10
  libsane-hpaio libsnmp15 mysql-client-5.1 mysql-server mysql-server-5.1 mythmusic mythnetvision mythtv mythtv-backend
  mythtv-common mythtv-database mythtv-frontend mythtv-themes mythvideo mythweather virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
to this
      Code:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  hpijs hplip-cups libhpmud0 libperl5.10 libsane-hpaio libsnmp15 virtualbox-ose-guest-x11

Jump to: