View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: enable easy reboot into new kernel?  PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 09:34

please, i know there's an aptosid script that will allow me to reboot directly into a new kernel, after a dist-upgrade, with "init 6".

i have forgotten what this script is called and where i can enable this useful function.

could someone remind me?

thanks in advance, ike.

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: enable easy reboot into new kernel?  PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 09:53
Team Member

I guess you are thinking of kexec? To enable it by default when you reboot edit your /etc/default kexec and change LOAD_KEXEC to true.

se7enOffline
Post subject: RE: enable easy reboot into new kernel?  PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 11:19

aehh isn't the newest kernel anyway the first in the grub list?
so wouldn't do a reboot after apt-get dist-upgrade do the same or am I not understanding the question?

bfreeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: enable easy reboot into new kernel?  PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 12:54
Team Member

se7en wrote:
aehh isn't the newest kernel anyway the first in the grub list?

They may not be using grub to boot or may have modified their grub setup to put something else first/default.
      se7en wrote:
so wouldn't do a reboot after apt-get dist-upgrade do the same or am I not understanding the question?

They also might just want it to go faster (particularly if they have funny devices that take a long time to initialise during a normal boot).

No doubt there are other reasons I'm not thinking of right now.

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: precious time.  PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 15:22

kexec, yes! thank you bfree.

bfree wrote:
They also might just want it to go faster (particularly if they have funny devices that take a long time to initialise during a normal boot).

way quicker to use this handy tool, and time is more precious than diamonds or gold.

also with multiple installs on a single disk, much better to reboot with the new kernel without updating grub, and only have grub-update ONCE after the last install on the disk has been upgraded (rather than having grub update after each of the multiple systems is upgraded. SLOW. UNNECESSARY. a WASTE.)

the slower the system, the faster that extra time rebooting adds up. try kexec se7en, you might like it.

thanks again bfree. ike.

Jump to: