View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bfreeOffline
Post subject: [SOLVED] Watch out, kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 00:30
Team Member

It seems kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded now. Pay close attention to what apt says about any attempts to dist-upgrade to make sure it is not going to remove anything important to you.

It's not expected to cause any problems except for "incomplete" mirror states (upload appears to be amd64, so i386 might suffer for up to a day or so).

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Watch out, kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 05:51
Team Member

The first mirror sync bringing kde 4.6.3 to sid has finally arrived and at least kde-lite amd64 systems seem to be sanely upgradable. I suspect i386 systems now need to hold off on any dist-upgrades until it catches up.

kdm spat out a message telling me my "saved session type 'kde' is not valid any more" but don't panic if you see that, you can just pick "kde plasma workspace" (or whatever it was called exactly) from the session menu.

kappfinder and libakonadiprivate1 were the only relevant packages which were removed (I let ntfsprogs go also but that's not kde related).

You might want to use the systemsettings tool to pick a new desktop theme once you login. All of the 4 default themes I had available were fine.

This install I tested it on is a very recent kde-lite install though with virtually no extra kde applications installed, I'd still strongly advise everyone to pay close attention to what apt wants to do with their system before proceeding.

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Watch out, kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 07:34

at this moment the only thing i see giving errors is kde-l10n, because kde-l10n 4.6.3 is not uploaded yet.

greetz
devil

hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: Watch out, kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 08:22

Puh. And I thought the S in Sid represented "stable" recently Wink

SantaOffline
Post subject: Re: Watch out, kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 09:01

bfree wrote:
It seems kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded now. Pay close attention to what apt says about any attempts to dist-upgrade to make sure it is not going to remove anything important to you.

Yes.

bfree wrote:

It's not expected to cause any problems except for "incomplete" mirror states (upload appears to be amd64, so i386 might suffer for up to a day or so).

Yes.

devil wrote:

at this moment the only thing i see giving errors is kde-l10n, because kde-l10n 4.6.3 is not uploaded yet.

Same here. Problably will be 'fixed' in the next mirror update, since src:kde-l10n was accepted in the archive a few hours ago.

Also, you all may want to read: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2011 ... 00034.html

slamOffline
Post subject: Re: Watch out, kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 09:18
Team Member

Santa wrote:
      bfree wrote:

Yes.

bfree wrote:

Yes.

devil wrote:

Same here. Problably will be 'fixed' in the next mirror update, since src:kde-l10n was accepted in the archive a few hours ago.

Also, you all may want to read: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2011 ... 00034.html

Thanks for taking your time to keep us informed over here - and big thanks for the hard work on KDE. Smile
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 11:32

I just finished upgrading 3 systems. Two of them had the KDE 4.6.2 from experimental-snapshots. On those two, I had modified /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc to fix a shutdown issue, and so there was a debconf screen to ask whether I want it replaced with the new kdmrc. I chose the "maintainer's version", and all seems fine -- they shut down correctly from the GUI. I poked around a bit with dolphin and kate and konsole -- everything seems to be in good shape.

So, success! Smile

ghstryderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 11:46

The Debian/KDE list post in that link contained this gem as well:
      Quote:
I'm attaching the results, note how apt-get dist-upgrade comes up
with a right solution while with aptitude I had to answer 'n' several times to
get something which looks like acceptable (that kde-l10n-* packages were removed
in 4.6 iirc).

Nice work, apt folks.

slhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 13:19

Be aware that upower, udisks and polkit-kde-1 might need to be installed explicitly (the first two should be handled by hard dependencies, but polkit-kde-1 likely doesn't get pulled in by default).

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 14:02

KDE upgrade worked fine from here as I had KDE 4.6.2 from experimental-snapshots installed as well. Looks like the close tab bug in konsole's fixed now too I noticed

hightimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 14:23

Upgrade went OK, but there are a couple of glitches.
The text on the my clock widget changed to black. It is barely visible only because there is some lighter color shadows. The panel has the same problem. The widgets have options to change the text color, but I can't find any way to change the color of text on the panel. (If it's in Panel Settings I can't see it because everything is black on black).
Same problem on the logout dialog. You can see the icons, but the text is unreadable.

This is on 64-bit.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Watch out, kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 14:29
Team Member

hightime
      bfree wrote:

You might want to use the systemsettings tool to pick a new desktop theme once you login. All of the 4 default themes I had available were fine.

Sorry, I probably should have made clear why you might want to pick a new theme.

hightimeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Watch out, kde 4.6.3 is being uploaded  PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 15:17

bfree wrote:
hightime
      bfree wrote:

Sorry, I probably should have made clear why you might want to pick a new theme.

I had done that. Also had to re-set splash screen and so on, but it didn't fix the problem. Now, however, after selecting a different theme and then re-selecting oxygen everything is OK again. It just didn't 'take' the first time.

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 17:37

I upgraded a 32bit system. So far so good Smile

krisbeeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.05.2011, 18:15

Today's d-u with kde 4.6.3 etc. on a 64bit install has left me with a power management problem.

A KDE error flashes up on the splash screen after user login.

Power managment fails to install as "no valid power management backend plugin" can be found.

I've lost track of what's going these days, Hal is still installed on my system but doesn't run. I think I need upower, but upower is not installable.

Unless I'm mistaken, it depends on a broken package:

Code:

upower : Depends: libimobiledevice2 (>= 0.9.7) but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

Otherwise the update of KDE seems OK.

Jump to: