View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
belzeOffline
Post subject: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 11.04.2011, 23:08

I filled a bug about amarok and nfs mounts as local media.
The core problem is, after some weeks I still have a question: there is someone else with the same problem?
Can you see your nfs (or smb) mounts as local collections with amarok from experimental?
Debian's bug can be found here http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=620741
Consider this is the first time i use the debian report bug system.
thank you

Reply with quote Back to top
hefeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 00:48

I can't see these nfs (or smb) mounts either with the experimental version.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 00:49

If amaroK uses standard KDE kparts (kio_nfs/ kio_smb), system inherent disadvantages of these subsystems likely make that impossible. If you want that to work, you'll likely have to mount your nfs/ smb shares at VFS level (with the drawbacks when your network goes down or your server reboots).

That said, I'm not really familiar with amaroK anymore, as I'm "lazy" and just use "ssh -X" to start my media player (it helps to be in hearing distance to the 'server' and its speakers; actually I do the same with my preferred mail client) and access a genuinely local collection; besides that I've switched away from amaroK after version 2.x and use juK (kdemultimedia) these days...

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 01:24

slh wrote:
If amaroK uses standard KDE kparts (kio_nfs/ kio_smb), system inherent disadvantages of these subsystems likely make that impossible. If you want that to work, you'll likely have to mount your nfs/ smb shares at VFS level (with the drawbacks when your network goes down or your server reboots).

That said, I'm not really familiar with amaroK anymore, as I'm "lazy" and just use "ssh -X" to start my media player (it helps to be in hearing distance to the 'server' and its speakers; actually I do the same with my preferred mail client) and access a genuinely local collection; besides that I've switched away from amaroK after version 2.x and use juK (kdemultimedia) these days...

I miss Amarok 1.4, which was so much better. Clementine is supposed to be based on Amarok 1.4 without all the cruft

belzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 14:17

slh wrote:

interesting...could you be more verbose?

as i posted on debian's bug tracker, here http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/C ... ok#Devices you can find how should be the device plugin section, including smb shares and nfs ones. slh, could this be related with your suggestions above?

P.S. is there a way to "promote" this bug report in order to get it solved quicklier? or at least to have some feedback from devs...

P.P.S. my server is rock solid qnap, no downtime since 1 year when i bought it, and i'm really happy with it!

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 12.04.2011, 15:15

belze wrote:
      slh wrote:

interesting...could you be more verbose?

as i posted on debian's bug tracker, here http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/C ... ok#Devices you can find how should be the device plugin section, including smb shares and nfs ones. slh, could this be related with your suggestions above?

P.S. is there a way to "promote" this bug report in order to get it solved quicklier? or at least to have some feedback from devs...

P.P.S. my server is rock solid qnap, no downtime since 1 year when i bought it, and i'm really happy with it!

Those are great devices and I'd say Amarok should have support for SMB/NFS shares out of the box. I'd add to the bug report as well...something like this should be a real no-brainer to support

belzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 26.04.2011, 20:35

i know this bug is against an experimental package, but should i do something more to let it be known by a dev?

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 26.04.2011, 20:46

If you consider that behaviour to be a bug (technically I don't consider it to be, but rather a general and long standing limitation of the kpart infrastructure), you should contact amaroK upstream. Experimental is not our particular domain of interest and we don't even distribute amaroK to begin with.

belzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 27.04.2011, 12:56

well, thank you slh for your time. I'll wait amarok to hit sid and than i'll try again...

belzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 11.05.2011, 16:51

...amarok has landed but it did not solve this issue. We'll wait until kde 4.6 hit sid (will this ever happen???) and wait again until amarok will be compiled against it.

hefeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Amarok & NFS  PostPosted: 01.06.2011, 21:46

This bug should now be solved in version 2.4.1-2.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 01:26

Amarok is playing music files via NFS mount here, but it did not like to scan the entire collection -- there was an error about the UID already in use, or something like that. I will play around and see if I can learn anything more about it. This is latest Amarok from sid and latest slh kernel.

Edit: In Amarok, do Playlist > Add Media and then browse to the NFS share. I was able to grab everything (1500+ files) and it is happily playing on the client machine.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 02:11

dibl wrote:
Amarok is playing music files via NFS mount here, but it did not like to scan the entire collection -- there was an error about the UID already in use, or something like that. I will play around and see if I can learn anything more about it. This is latest Amarok from sid and latest slh kernel.

Edit: In Amarok, do Playlist > Add Media and then browse to the NFS share. I was able to grab everything (1500+ files) and it is happily playing on the client machine.

So you found the way to mount the nfs share to properly open the files to play?

I may want to use my homemade NAS for holding my music and I'd like to go the NFS route too

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 03:38

I don't have a NAS. My desktop aptosid system with a large storage filesystem is the server, and another aptosid desktop is the client. Static IP addresses are required of course, and all PCs are behind a router. I am happy to share whatever details will be helpful. I am not a networking expert, but clearly it is working the way I have it set up here.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 12:43

dibl wrote:
I don't have a NAS. My desktop aptosid system with a large storage filesystem is the server, and another aptosid desktop is the client. Static IP addresses are required of course, and all PCs are behind a router. I am happy to share whatever details will be helpful. I am not a networking expert, but clearly it is working the way I have it set up here.

I have a router too and can set my NAS (which is connected to the router) to use a static IP as well. If you have Windows clients you can map the drive (need to have Samba installed on your server)

Nice idea to stream music thru the house :^)

Jump to: