View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Luis_POffline
Post subject: Why we love linux?  PostPosted: 01.06.2011, 16:42

The true reason is this.

Regards.

Luis_P

Reply with quote Back to top
domiciusOffline
Post subject: RE: Why we love linux?  PostPosted: 01.06.2011, 18:28

Thanks for reminding me... Smile Can you tell me the source of this?

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Why we love linux?  PostPosted: 01.06.2011, 19:46

It is a nice link, I loved it.It shows a different perspective. Maybe really the true.

I love Linux it is simple to use, fast start-up, fast shutdown, efficient use of resources and no strings attached. Though I have already purchased a few books, no "Learn in 24 hours" stuff, I have not been through them to play with Linux as I currently, as interest and professional needs am playing with microcomputers for embedded systems.
In the Linux forums (mainly here now) I see many top quality developers and users and it is a better environment than most.
Linux, being open source, can tell you ( after you go through the thousands of pages information) what a computer actually is, how you can really tinker, modify, alter as per your likings and whims and fancies.

Thanks
dpt

aylaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.06.2011, 20:14

Yep, it's fun!

Luis_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.06.2011, 20:18

Quote:
Can you tell me the source of this?

I've found it at http://i.imgur.com/jqIcv.jpg

Edited:

And this link was found in another Linux users forum, this Spanish one.

Last edited by Luis_P on 03.06.2011, 10:02; edited 1 time in total

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 12:12
Team Member

We love it because it can run a… fork-bomb… in case you wonder what the cryptic title of this image is Wink

My personal favorite reason is the package management (okay, that was unexpected). A friend of mine who had (partly) switched to SuSe at that time while i was still a windows user told me about this package management thingy they have (i think they call it "yast"). I heard that and thought: "Yeah, fine, but heh, i don't care. Most of the software i have installed notifies me then a new version is available. Or i can see it on the homepages of these tools. So why do i need another application for that?!?"

Fast-forward 4 years and i am for more than 2 years team member of the debian APT team responsible for creating and maintaining such a thing…

It feels a bit like the "640K of RAM ought to be enough for anybody"-quote now but i still think i was right at that time - from a windows-user-perspective this package management thing is useless. Most applications notify by itself about new versions. Installing is as easy as downloading a file and pressing 'next' and 'okay' a few times. And if i want a new application i just enter my wish into google…

My friend failed to tell me that everything on my system is a package. That i don't need to run the Windows updater, the firefox updater, the gimp updater, that i don't need to download the new release-tarball of whatever. He failed to tell me that the download is always secure - i don't have to worry that this new game i downloaded is actually a trojan horse playing with my bank account. And he failed to tell me that the search is easier than with google. Every package - yes i have a choice between a few! - is listed only ones and the description is not some boring marketing blabla on the first couple of results. And, after installation there is no little message popping up informing me that it doesn't run on my version of windows. Or that it crashed because i have the wrong version of windows. Or that i have to download X before, too. Or that i have to pay for this feature. Or that my bank account is now empty because i transfered everything to a botnet-master (i can't stress that enough).

You just don't know what you miss if you have never seen it.

It's the same with the console. If i remember this little black window in windows i can totally understand why a newcomer to linux doesn't understand why "we" really love these little black windows…

dptOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 18:27

Quote:
It's the same with the console. If i remember this little black window in windows i can totally understand why a newcomer to linux doesn't understand why "we" really love these little black windows…

Next time you can perhaps tell them that it is the command prompt of Linux.

Steve_EOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 20:54

@DonKult I guess I am a true Linux lover: Tending to live under a rock, I had never heard of a fork bomb. That cryptic title of the link just struck me as some cute gibberish used as a title. Then you tweaked my curiosity, so I tried it. Took about 30 seconds to lock up the machine! I sat there and giggled for 10 minutes. Very Happy

Googling on "fork bomb" eventually revealed an explanation that was a good lesson in Bash and recursion.

Thanks.

Steve_E

Jump to: