View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.06.2011, 13:54

I understand ghstryder, and maybe that's because this particular thread was started in a friendly way and 'they' bring 'it' all up again and frankly reprimand me for making a remaster. Did they get my goat, yeah they did. Am I pushing to understand why I'm told I shouldn't install it? Yes, because of the option to install... I am sorry if I've become sour so quickly but with the last few posts directed at me and about everything- I'm a bit pissed.

Reply with quote Back to top
xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.06.2011, 14:06

Oh, and after now reading that this kind of thing has quite a history- just google sidux aptosid forums rude I'll take my leave. As Ayla said- you can remove me however you do it -as a member.

I do thank those who jumped in and mentioned the 'tone' directed towards me. I didn't see it as 'pirating' the thread.

Best to all,
Xeta

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.06.2011, 16:29

ghstryder wrote:
I had at least some degree of sympathy for you in the beginning, even though it seemed obvious that the problem was using the aptosid forum to promote *your* iso. Now you are beginning to sound irrational. Take some of the emotion out of it, and think it through again.

On a personal note; in a world where people are afraid to speak their mind, where opinions must be couched in touchy-feely fluff, I find the straight-forward approach of the mods to be a breath of fresh air. I have not always agreed with their approach, but then, it is always their forum, and their distro.

I didn't think he was *promoting* his ISO, but was mainly responding to the attacks.

ghstryderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.06.2011, 16:36

Quote:
If you want to try out my Aptosid based version you can here:
LINK REMOVED, NO REMASTER PROMOTION IN OUR FORUMS, PLS
Blast! Well, I've always struggled with English.

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.06.2011, 22:05

xetaprime wrote:

muchan, you feel Aptosid should not be installed to a hard disk? Only USB? The above does not specify USB. It specifically says hd installations- plural and that it's 'stabilized' If I'm ganged up on for installing to hard drive, can you or a team member explain further? If you discourage HD installation why release Aptosid with this option?

Sincerely,
Xeta

A) aptosid *is* to be installed to HD once, then forever dist-upgraded on Debian sid repo to be the latest system.
B) Debian sid, for its nature, will break sometimes. aptosid *is* a project of community support for Debian sid users, with some rules and restrictions about the system administration, to be officially supported by the team and the forum/irc of the community.
C) when you base your ISO on aptosid, but declared the distro as not being the aptosid, not related with aptosid, it means the user of the installed system from your ISO will not get the community support of aptosid. Well, maybe someone of user community, but not from aptosid team. It means the system is based on Debian sid to be broken, but left without B. the support other than from YOU. If you are skilled enough like the aptosid team to support Your Users, then no problem. But I don't expect it... (maybe not you are well experienced and technically very advanced debian user... but then what is the point of basing your system on aptosid?)

all on all, from what you wrote, and from your questions, I'm sure you have not even read the aptosid manual throughly.
(Do you know, for example, that using synaptic for package installation is not recommended on aptosid?)

So... it's good you use your ISO for yourself. When you give your ISO to others, their system will be someday broken. Whom they should cry out help? You. At least I, don't want the member of this forum fall as this kind of victim.

Personally I think it would be better you stoped after remastering ubuntu and debian stable. Before touching testing, sid and aptosid.

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.06.2011, 00:49

Hey, I could still login Shocked

Quote:
If you are skilled enough like the aptosid team to support Your Users, then no problem. But I don't expect it... (maybe not you are well experienced and technically very advanced debian user... but then what is the point of basing your system on aptosid?)

It's okay. Keep making assumptions about me. There were two reasons for my Remaster- 1. Remastersys and 2. e17 (2011).

Quote:
all on all, from what you wrote, and from your questions, I'm sure you have not even read the aptosid manual throughly.
(Do you know, for example, that using synaptic for package installation is not recommended on aptosid?)

Not even read the manual- true, I haven't. Do I have to? Does everyone have to? I signed up to tell people that remastersys could work. I'll say it again, I had no idea what a can of worms that would open. You know, like the worms from Dune Wink

After googling what others around the net felt of this forum, after what has been going on- I learned that Synaptic is frowned upon here. Yes I read how you do your upgrades. The thing is the choice is mine, yes? I also learned some do use synaptic in part or whole- maybe not memebers here but people using Aptosid.

Quote:
So... it's good you use your ISO for yourself. When you give your ISO to others, their system will be someday broken. Whom they should cry out help? You. At least I, don't want the member of this forum fall as this kind of victim.

I think you just need to relax. Anyone using SID should be aware of the possibilities. But at the same time you can find countless users- for example over at Mepis who have been using SID without problem for years.

Quote:
Personally I think it would be better you stoped after remastering ubuntu and debian stable. Before touching testing, sid and aptosid.

Personally you have the right to feel how you feel. If no one experimented with anything- out of fear, we'd still be in the dark ages. Through the years I have learned more from things breaking and learning how to fix what's under the hood than nothing ever going wrong.

I took the Aptosid down for two reasons- the unwelcomeness from team members here and two- Remastersys works better in a pure debian system. It's labeled 'Experimetal' to use at one's own risk. That is an option. I think most know if they want a more stable system- to use Squeeze. Some, including me do like to experiment and the answers are out there, not just here.

Sincerely,
Xeta

TrekenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.08.2011, 02:18

Is there a good guide for using pyfll? I heard it was dropped a few years ago. I've used remastersys and it works great for gnome desktop. I develope android and wanted to use aptosid to create an iso with all the tools needed for android development pre-installed which after successful will save a lot of time setting my build environment back up if I change computers or just want to share it with a friend or two.

Jump to: