View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hightimeOffline
Post subject: screen problem  PostPosted: 13.06.2011, 06:05

Ever since the big X-server upgrade earlier this year I've experienced problems with the display. It is most noticeable when you select Leave from the menu. It used to display a box with the choices (logout, shutdown, reboot) over a background of the desktop with the colors changed to grayscale. Now the background is just all garbled. I see the same thing anytime a popup is opened or when clicking on a drop-down menu. There is a brief glimpse of black and garbled stuff before the menu gets drawn over the space.

I'm on a 64-bit system using an Nvidia 6200 with the nouveau driver.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?

Reply with quote Back to top
finottiOffline
Post subject: RE: screen problem  PostPosted: 13.06.2011, 09:11

For the record, I have the same problem with my Lenovo T60 using the radeon driver...

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: screen problem  PostPosted: 13.06.2011, 16:18
Team Member

These are problems not related to the drivers (I have seen them with intel, nvidia, fglrx, radeon and nouveau), but to the latest version of kwin (sometimes also with enabled desktop effects). You might try to change (and re-change) the desktop theme, and experiment with the desktop effects you enable/disable.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
finottiOffline
Post subject: RE: screen problem  PostPosted: 13.06.2011, 17:04

Thanks, slam. I will try. But, for the record, no effects with my laptop... (I find it a minor annoyance, especially since I don't use that laptop as much anymore.)

dexterusOffline
Post subject: RE: screen problem  PostPosted: 13.06.2011, 17:36

the problem is also documented in this thread at aptosid forum.

hightimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.06.2011, 01:29

I have tried changing themes and changing desktop effects, but the problem persists. From info in the above link and in another link referenced there, it seems that the problem is from "background initialization being disabled in xorg."

It seems that Ubuntu had to cherry-pick patches from upstream to fix the problem in Natty. We'll just have to wait until the fixes from upstream work their way into sid.

Jump to: