View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wildwaldbiberhirteOffline
15 Post subject: laptop cd/dvd drive does not eject with button when mounted  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 23:40

Hi!

I've got a weird problem. My cd/dvd drive does not open when the eject when the eject-button is pressed, if the disk in the drive is mounted. The problem occured spontanuously.

Without disk or with unmounted disk, the button works fine.

The shell command "eject" works fine with mounted and unmounted disks, as user or root.

Ejecting from the device-manager-plasmoid works fine, mounted and unmounted.

After having pressed the eject button, none of the solutions works anymore. The shell command "eject" returns that the device /dev/cdrom does not exist anymore. The disk can be ejected by "eject /dev/sr0"

So, pressing the eject button seems to fiddle around with the symlinks in /dev.

What might be the reason? I suspect it to be a problem with udev, but I don't have any real experience with udev.

Which routine is executed with pressing the eject-button (could be changed to "eject sr0")? It's not acpi. Is it part of the cd driver?

Thank you all very much!

Hardware: Thinkpad T61

Last edited by wildwaldbiberhirte on 01.07.2011, 11:56; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: laptop cd/dvd drive does not eject with button when moun  PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 00:09

The drive's eject button isn't supposed to eject a mounted disk, as that would mean read errors and stale mounts.

Userspace however could listen to the [eject] event and act upon it by umounting (if possible) and then issuing an eject command to the drive, this is a task that was done by hal and pmount in previous KDE versions - and now might be covered by udisks, maybe in combination with polkit-kde-1 to check who is authorized to do so, in KDE 4.6.x (or something equivalent in XFCE). So my first bet would be to check if you have udisks, polkit-kde-1 and upower (unrelated to this issue, but still needed) installed - or to install missing packages.

Post subject: RE: laptop cd/dvd drive does not eject with button when moun  PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 11:15

Thank you very much for your help!

udisks, upower and polkit-kde-1 are (and were) installed.

The eject command (terminal and plasmoid) work. They don't eject the disk without unmounting the disk before.

udev creates the symlinks /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, /dev/dvdrw and so an. They all point to /dev/sr0. If a disk is mounted, pressing the eject button removes the symlinks, until the disk is ejected. That is why I suspect udev.

Post subject: RE: laptop cd/dvd drive does not eject with button when moun  PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 11:55

I did not solve the problem itself, but removed the symptom, which is fine for me at the moment.

The drive was locked, putting /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/lock to 0 helps.

Thank you!

Jump to: