View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
xetaprimeOffline
Post subject: Aptosid e17 32/64 Remastersys Success  PostPosted: 04.06.2011, 22:16

Hey! Good to be here and I'll try and keep an entire days story as short as i can. I'm not sure if anyone else has gotten Remastersys to work- lord knows I googled it- but I thought I'd share where I am at the moment.

I'm writing from and Aptosid e17 remastersys installed to hd iso :0 I installed e17 from the svn .deb. You can find it here:
http://debe17.com/deb_page/deb_install_page.html

First I had to install automake, autopoint and subversion. Also grabbed Gdebi. Added places, engage and calender as well by downloading via svn.

I tried to install Remastersys debian squeeze from the repos listed at Remastersys and got a dependency error with live-initramfs. I'm going to skip things because first I tried the Pyfll thing and OY! At the debian packge site for live-initramfs- installed the dependencies and all. Remastersys then installed. I know there's more but I'm trying to be brief. I may start over tomorrow and try and do it clean.

Remastersys made the custom.iso but! It had no internet. I tried forever to find out why, when all looked good and I had a connection- I couldn't browse. I found out I had no resolve.conf file. Forunatley I had one on my squeeze system. copied it over and yay! Internet! Then I tried to install it to my hard drive. The install completed with no errors but I had no grub! I booted the iso and ran grub rescue. This got me in but to a prompt and not gdm. Startx worked thank God and I installed gdm3. rebooted and still had login and internet. I made another iso and installed it. No grub but grub restore worked, oh I installed gnome-control-center where I ran restore. I still had to copy resolve.conf to have internet but at least for today- that's just two things I have to do to remaster Aptosid e17 and keep my system. Pretty cool.

I know it's jumbled and my eyesight is fried but maybe tomorrow I'll start fresh.

Just wanted to share. I love that Aptosid is lightning fast! Got the new kernel and dist-upgrade too, cool beans.

Best wishes,
Xeta

Update: Most issues solved- Internet, gdm etc. Remastersys is working but you must run 'grub restore' after installation finishes.

If you want to try out my Aptosid based version you can here:
LINK REMOVED, NO REMASTER PROMOTION IN OUR FORUMS, PLS

Wow Sad Why not? Can I say google primee17? I really don't understand?

Check page 3 for a better list of what to do. Initial posts were learning phase. At least for today- it's working.

Last edited by xetaprime on 09.06.2011, 22:54; edited 7 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Aptosid Remastersys Success Kinda  PostPosted: 04.06.2011, 23:56

ah, an Enlightenment based Aptosid sounds pretty cool. Keep us posted on your little project and hope you are able to work out all the little glitches Smile

sx9Offline
Post subject: RE: Aptosid Remastersys Success Kinda  PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 00:09

I've had e17 (or e16?) on my disk a certain time, too, but I never used it.
I'd like to see some screenshots of your desktop to see how it looks like Smile
But why haven't you used pyfll for remastering and: where can I download remastersys from?

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Aptosid Remastersys Success Kinda  PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 00:19

maybe aptosid team can give you pointers on how to remaster aptosid...but you'll be on your own beyond that though as remastering is not really supported by the team

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 10:52

Good Morning. Well, I bit the bullet and started fresh. Installed and dist-upgraded. Installed synaptic, gdebi, automake, autopoint and subversion. Installed e17. It's actually very easy with the .deb I mention above. Installed live-initramfs and deps from squeeze:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/live-initramfs
No errors- oh, if you get the order of install wrong you may.
Installed remastersys(repo)

# Remastersys Squeeze
deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository squeeze/

1. You can make a bootable iso
2. Live DVD No internet without- /etc/resolve.conf (copied back in) (fixed- install dnsmasq)
3. DVD Installs to hd fine but boots with no grub (so run 'Grub Restore' when installation finishes)
4. Make sure gdm is installed before rebooting.

Grub rescue is no biggie at the moment- it works great and you have your whole system back up and running.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best wishes,
Xeta

Last edited by xetaprime on 09.06.2011, 12:26; edited 1 time in total

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 11:03

P.S. e17 itself installs fine. Downloading and running ./autogen.sh on places, calendar and engage will likely give path errors. e17 installs to /opt/

here are two great pages about setting the path:
http://forum.enlightenment.org/comments ... ssionID=86
http://forum.enlightenment.org/comments ... sionID=196

You'll have to do either of these to compile the modules:
$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/e17/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
or
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/e17/bin

To download engage etc- in terminal:

svn co http://svn.enlightenment.org/
svn/e/trunk/E-MODULES-EXTRA/engage

this puts the folders in your home directory where you can run ./autogen.sh

P.P.S If you want to try e17 on squeeze:
[link removed, this is not a forum for release announcements of other distros/ remasters; slh]

Smile

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 17:17

Hey again :0 I lost all morning trying to replicate the above by upgrading squeeze Live to sid (not Aptosid) and tweaking Live-intramfs etc and installing remastersys. No luck. So there's something that allows Aptosid to work for the most part. Made a lot of coasters. The remastered sid dvd would fail to even boot in. Made my last one now and will test it but not hopeful.

Time to get back to using the machine rather than keeping it in tweak limbo. Best, Xeta

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 19:17

I know! I'm kind of a lost cause but I swear I'll stop yapping. I don't know why I make things difficult. I would finish the remastered Aptosid install then reboot with the live dvd. What an Idiot!

The install finishes without error. Fine. What I should have done while still live - run remastersys grub restore, make sure gdm is installed and copy resolve.conf which I have saved and boot into the new system like I just did D'Ohhh!!! OY!

Last edited by xetaprime on 07.06.2011, 10:28; edited 1 time in total

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 23:10

If your final target is installed system on HD, then I don't see any sense of remastering
at all, since you can install E17 and whatever packages after a normal installation of
original aptosid ISO.

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 23:48

@muchan. I'm not sure I understand you? But let me jump in- mind you I've had some wine.

Current e17 and modules don't install with one click... and let's say I'm busy wasting my time tweaking not just Aptosid but playing with other distros on this machine (I only have one 64)... the sense of remastering means in less than 20 minutes after mucking things up with other distros or whatever, I can be back here all configured. Yes, if you play with the debian e17 .deb long enough it goes in quickly, but then you still have to svn other modules and then you assign various icons and delete or position shelves and on and on. Remastering saves all this time which is quite a lot of time starting from scratch... and stuff.

Remastersys has saved my bacon more than once. An easy example is simply configuring chrome speed dial again. Or, not having to reinstall 'flash'! Or, my applications in engage are all there.... and stuff.

P.S. I haven't checked recently but not long ago the e17 available in the Atposid repos was out of date... maybe I should check :0 but that's where I'm coming from.

Best,
Xeta

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.06.2011, 00:00

I'll add another example as I feel this is important.
This morning I reinstalled my squeeze e17 trying to upgrade to sid and get remaster working. I failed. But I could reinsatll my configured Aptosid dvd, yes? All configured and ready to go save rescue grub and resolve.

There have been times when I just used the machine and times when I was in experimenting mode. Two very different scenarios but even then, a remaster saves so much time and configuration- it's a blessing!

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.06.2011, 08:00

I see it makes sense to you, when you want to install the system with same configuration
again and again and again. Then the hours you lost with tweaking remastering may pay later...

But in your place, I'd rather consider making a install script of e17, which should run on
aptosid or debian or other derivatives.

Quote:

P.S. I haven't checked recently but not long ago the e17 available in the Atposid repos was out of date... maybe I should check :0 but that's where I'm coming from.

There is not e17 on aptosid repo. You mean Debian repo?

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.06.2011, 10:48

@muchan

Quote:
There is not e17 on aptosid repo. You mean Debian repo?

I meant generally, sorry. The Aptosid cd sources list.

and, it's out of date so it's a bit more work installing debe17-svn_1.1.1-0_all.deb but even that doesn't take long, it's the setup and config of e17 to the way you like it. Remastersys takes that work away. I think it would be great if the Aptosid developers added a current e17 to their repo. That would be awesome.

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.06.2011, 17:09

Just in case Visuals help

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.06.2011, 22:52

I'm waiting to hear about branding issues or rules about offering a 'based on' thing. If I can, I'll try and offer what I've made with e17 2011 and remastersys.

Jump to: