Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 17.06.2011, 17:20



Joined: 2010-08-26
Posts: 491
Location: Berlin
Status: Offline
you are missing mesa* 7.10.3-2 packages.
they should be uploaded soon.

greetz
devil
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Nvidia [and fglrx] broken  PostPosted: 18.06.2011, 01:09
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
      dibl wrote:
      towo wrote:
Downgrade libgl1-mesa-glx to testing and your nvidia-driver will work again.


Brilliant! Also I had to reinstall nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-kernel-common, and then run m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source, then reinstall nvidia-glx and I'm good to go with desktop effects.

Thanks towo!



same here, danke towo! Wink
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
neosidOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 08:00



Joined: 2011-06-23
Posts: 22

Status: Offline
All theses posts about a workaround, with the testing packages, but not one of these worked here. I tried them exactly, in combo, started over, etc, etc.

Can the downgrade work? I mean has anyone seen that work?

I had just installed aptosid kde-lite. Nvidia worked; at a very high frame rate. Then I upgraded, and it seemed to really need it (lots of packs). Now, I got diddly. No nvidia, no nv, no neouveo-ee-o-foo. looks like this has been going on, for 6 days. Has anyone, a workaround; that's working? Could you please post the commands that are verified to work? Is the testing downgrade, just a theory? Trust me, I put the above suggestions in, and well. No install, of nvidia-glx. I just get, unmet libgl1-nivida-glx.

Should work and does work, are two different things. Smile


Last edited by neosid on 24.06.2011, 12:21; edited 4 times in total
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
neosidOffline
11 Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 08:52



Joined: 2011-06-23
Posts: 22

Status: Offline
Oh foo!

Success, but by other means. Full DRI/3D.

      Code:
apt-get install xorg


      Code:
cd /usr/local/bin && wget -O sgfxi smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi


Then ran the sgfxi script, of course.

Smile
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 08:59
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
      neosid wrote:
All theses posts about a workaround, with the testing packages, but not one of these worked here. I tried them exactly, in combo, started over, etc, etc.

Can the downgrade work? I mean has anyone seen that work?

I had just installed aptosid kde-lite. Nvidia worked; at a very high frame rate. Then I upgraded, and it seemed to really need it (lots of packs). Now, I got diddly. No nvidia, no nv, no neouveo-ee-o-foo. looks like this has been going on, for 6 days. Has anyone, a workaround; that's working? Could you please post the commands that are verified to work? Is the testing downgrade, just a theory? Trust me, I put the above suggestions in, and well. No install, of nvidia-glx. Unmet libgl1-nivida-glx. Should work and does work, are two different things. Smile




      Code:
ctrl+alt+F1

init 3 && apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

(let the 3 nvidia packages get removed)

nano /etc/apt/sources/.list.d/debian.list

enable/add testing

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

apt-get update && apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx=7.10.2-3

disable testing

apt-get update && apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source- nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-glx

reboot

Success and faster than smxi/sgfxi

edit: made it more clear


Last edited by piper on 24.06.2011, 14:23; edited 2 times in total
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
jacmoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 09:10



Joined: 2011-04-13
Posts: 40
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Bollocks.
That maneuver caused apt to remove 140 packages. KDE and X server/core.
I am just waiting it out.
And seeing that it's got low priority, it can take a long while until we get our nVidia back.
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 09:18
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
      jacmoe wrote:
Bollocks.
That maneuver caused apt to remove 140 packages. KDE and X server/core.
I am just waiting it out.
And seeing that it's got low priority, it can take a long while until we get our nVidia back.


you havent done a du in a while then huh, 140 packages is a lot, I du at least twice a day, everything smooth,
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
jacmoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 09:43



Joined: 2011-04-13
Posts: 40
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Well, I do dist-upgrade at least twice a week.
That's not the problem.
I will give it another shot. Wink
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
jacmoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 10:00



Joined: 2011-04-13
Posts: 40
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
@piper:
Thanks! Very Happy
Worked like a charm.

IIRC, apt would remove 140 packages when I tried to install libgl1-nvidia-blahblah..

Now all I have to do is hold back libgl1-mesa-glx and wait. Wink
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
OppaErichOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 12:12



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 28
Location: Essen, Germany
Status: Offline
Lucky you. Still no X for me. http://paste.pocoo.org/show/417401
And no, nvidia is installed, I had to use the force option to make module-assistent build another one. Confused

Well, I'm starting to love LMDE Gnome...
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
ghstryderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 14:03



Joined: 2010-09-12
Posts: 94
Location: Detroit
Status: Offline
OppaErich, you are not alone. My laptop isn't working right now. I lost nvidia with the DU, and decided to try Nouveau for a second time. The last time we had nvidia issues, I tried Nouveau unsucessfully, but was able to get nvidia working again. This time, I still can't get Nouveau to work, nor can I get nvidia to work. I have tried every fix that has shown up, to no avail. I haven't had time to dive into it, and have not needed the laptop, so it isn't a huge issue for me, thankfully. I'll get it resolved one of these days, or introduce it to 2011-next.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 19:14
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
These are the problem packages

      Code:
libgl1-nvidia-alternatives libgl1-nvidia-glx nvidia-glx libgl1-mesa-glx


On a dist-upgrade these 3 will be removed

      Code:
libgl1-nvidia-alternatives libgl1-nvidia-glx nvidia-glx


After those 3 are removed, enable testing and
      Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx=7.10.2-3
then disable testing and
      Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source- nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-glx


Some people might have to do this also, then the steps above

      Code:
apt-get purge --remove dkms xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source


      Code:
echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf


as root and reboot.

_________________
debian sid | apt-get into it
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
ghstryderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.06.2011, 19:56



Joined: 2010-09-12
Posts: 94
Location: Detroit
Status: Offline
      piper wrote:
      Code:
echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf
as root and reboot.
Ah, that is one I must have missed. I'll try running through the whole thing again and see what happens.

Thanks Piper!
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
neosidOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.06.2011, 11:48



Joined: 2011-06-23
Posts: 22

Status: Offline
Don't doubt that I tried all that, or think that I just miss typed something. Plus, I'm not really new at this stuff anymore. As many are now reporting, it was a no go (on my GeForce 7). Congrats, if downgrading worked for you. I'm just saying wait, or try sgfxi. I dist-upgraded again (after my initial install, and first dist-upgrade, as referenced in my last post) and the new kernel, of course, needed a fix again, which sgfxi did quickly.

I don't think we should need sgfxi either; it's just that it worked.

Thanks for the list of commands/directions Piper. Are those just suggestions, or what worked to fix yours?

While I prefer the nvidia driver, and would like to see neuvo, or whatever it's called, work better, it doesn't, and I understand Nvidia is dragging tail, by not open sourcing their drivers, like many others have done. Thing would be so much simpler. This will be their downfall; unless they learn to play together, better.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.06.2011, 12:00
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
      neosid wrote:
Don't doubt that I tried all that, or think that I just miss typed something. Plus, I'm not really new at this stuff anymore. As many are now reporting, it was a no go (on my GeForce 7). Congrats, if downgrading worked for you. I'm just saying wait, or try sgfxi. I dist-upgraded again (after my initial install, and first dist-upgrade, as referenced in my last post) and the new kernel, of course, needed a fix again, which sgfxi did quickly.

I don't think we should need sgfxi either; it's just that it worked.

Thanks for the list of commands/directions Piper. Are those just suggestions, or what worked to fix yours?

While I prefer the nvidia driver, and would like to see neuvo, or whatever it's called, work better, it doesn't, and I understand Nvidia is dragging tail, by not open sourcing their drivers, like many others have done. Thing would be so much simpler. This will be their downfall; unless they learn to play together, better.


works on all 3 of my nvidia boxes, my ati box was not effected
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by Zafenio