View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MoDaXOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 20:04

slam wrote:
Well, I understand "innocent" and "bad things happen", but untested? No personal offense intended, really, but I am pretty sure we can provide a lot of experimental testers immediately if experimental is used for such uploads.

While frequent, the bug does not necessarily manifest itself immediately. Crashes are pretty random even if at the same place. Due to nature of the crash, some apps crash for some people and work for others.

Regarding experimental, well Qt is a huge package (~1 Gb in upload size, 8 GB+ and 1-2+ hours to build). Uploading to experimental (btw, nobody uses experimental) is simply counterproductive and waste of time which maintainers barely have. We have to trust our judgement. Anyway, the whole discussion is moot since once again, Sid is a development distribution where bad things happen.

Reply with quote Back to top
oldieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 20:52

sorry - question : sid unstable or experimental

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 20:54
Team Member

@MoDaX: The discussion is not "moot" at all. If your time is limited (and yes, I am aware of what you do in Debian), why not take advantage of our offer to provide serious testers? Experimental is used by many people at Aptosid, who are willing to test and provide bug reports. You might even find helpers for packaging/uploading that way, which might stretch your time limits.

Bad things do happen in sid for sure, everyone in Aptosid is very much aware of that. Limiting those "bad things" to stuff that cannot be avoided is why we are here, and yes - sid is a (development) distribution.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
MoDaXOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 22:19

slam wrote:
@MoDaX: The discussion is not "moot" at all. If your time is limited (and yes, I am aware of what you do in Debian), why not take advantage of our offer to provide serious testers?

Even if you ignore the fact that unstable is where real testing is supposed to happen by design, experimental or the like still would not scale. Time needed to build & upload for testing, explain what to test, wait for feedback (i.e. communication), do proper build & upload is just way too much to be anywhere near practical for "innocent" changes. Big changes are another matter and they are handled differently. That Qt change under no circumstances could have qualified as "big".

Quote:

Experimental is used by many people at Aptosid, who are willing to test and provide bug reports.

experimental - stuff blocked by release team/present situation in unstable or stuff that is expected or even known to be broken or not good enough.

unstable - stuff that is expected (from maintainer POV) to be better than what's currently there. Too bad, sometimes serious bugs happen, but on the other hand, in 95%-98% of other cases they do not, so it does not make sense to do over-excessive Q/A due to resources it demands (also having in mind the purpose of unstable itself).

Quote:

You might even find helpers for packaging/uploading that way, which might stretch your time limits.

More help is always welcome. Unfortunately, it is not easy for new people (without good packaging experience) to get involved due to knowledge and patience required. Due to lack of man power, we usually can't help nor docs (if any) are good so people have to figure out most stuff on their own hence much dedication and time are required on their part. So typically that's how it ends...

Speaking on topic, 4:4.7.3-4 should see the light of day pretty soon.

mzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.06.2011, 22:54

I downgraded this way and everything seems fine for now:
      Code:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives
dpkg -i libqtcore4_4%3a4.7.3-2_amd64.deb
dpkg -i *3a4.7.3-2*

Of course, you should verify that "*3a4.7.3-2*" resolves to what you want.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 15:54

You can get the -2 packages out of the Debian Snapshots as well as only -1 is in testing

mzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 16:09

Looks like the fix is available now.
      Code:
libqtgui4/sid upgradeable from 4:4.7.3-2 to 4:4.7.3-4

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 16:11

Please upgrade.
Problem solved.

etorixOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 16:13
Team Member

cheers, MoDaX, for the heads-up

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 16:39

Installed the updated/fixed Qt packages and no crashes here

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 16:52
Team Member

Fixed for me at amd64 - thanks MoDaX for the light speed upload. Smile
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
drbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 17:46

I've watched this thread with interest as my 32 bit install wasn't affected . . . . but libqtcore4 4.7.3-3 has just arrived this afternoon on my mirror! I'll give it a miss until 4.7.3-4 by the sound of it.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.06.2011, 19:49

drb wrote:
I've watched this thread with interest as my 32 bit install wasn't affected . . . . but libqtcore4 4.7.3-3 has just arrived this afternoon on my mirror! I'll give it a miss until 4.7.3-4 by the sound of it.

Yes 32 bit systems ARE affected so you can upgrade now as 4.7.3-4 is now in the repos. Check your mirror to be sure the latest is there. If not just wait a bit longer

Jump to: